Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Broken rocker arms, bent spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rocker arms, bent spark plugs

My fiance's Chevy Cavalier stopped working from one day to the next. The engine had just had it's oil changed three weeks prior so I doubt the engine ran without oil. Upon inspecting the cylinder head I noticed that two rocker arms where broken. I replaced the rocker arms, but still no start. I then check the battery and alternator, and both were bad so I replaced them. After this I thought it would work, but still no start although better sounding than before. I proceeded to check the spark plugs and the spark plug electrodes were all bent with absolutely no gap at all. I then changed the spark plugs, but still no start. I then opened the cylinder head again and this time six rocker arms were broken along with two bent spark plugs which I just had installed. At this point I'm not sure what to make of this. I either think the lifters are bad, the timing chain is off, or the valves are bent, but I don't know where to go from here.
Old August 28th, 2012, 1:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd junk it, and get something else.