Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

crankshaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crankshaft sensor

So I have been having problems with my 2000 Chevy Cavalier, and I knew my starter was going out... Some days it would start just fine but other days car wouldn't start. I used a hammer to tap on the starter to get it going and it worked two times. A couple days ago I had drove home from work, went to sleep, and then woke up for work again to a car that wouldn't start at all. I instantly went to the starter and tapped. Car still wouldn't start So i found a way to work and the next day when I got out... Took the starter off and got it checked by auto zone. The starter was locked up. So I bought a new one and put it on, the car still wouldn't start...it was now cranking but wouldnt start. As confused as I was, I knew it wasn't my alternator or battery because the car wouldn't start with a jump. I listened to the gas tank to hear if the fuel pump was working and it was.
I messaged a lot of people asking what it could be and also tried diagnosing my problem by reading all sorts of different info. My uncle told me it could be my crankshaft sensor is bad.

These are the symptoms of my car before it stopped starting.

1)after it would rain, my car would chug and the rpms would raise but had barely any acceleration when first started going.
2)check engine light is/was on
3)service engine would blink or click on sometimes ,but sometimes wouldn't.

Do you think it is the crankshaft sensor?
I bought a new one and tried putting it on today but the old one got stuck and broke off into the engine. I'm going to use the screw trick tomorrow, clean the engine compartment where the sensor is held, and replace it.