Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

engine code p0300 random misfire

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine code p0300 random misfire

hey ive been dealing with this issue for a long time now ive tried everything nothing i do will make it go away here is what ive done

changed plugs,wire,coils, coil module, checked fuel presssure check compression

it starts no probems but at idle my rmps jump around and when i wanna go no power

any info would help thank you

Last edited by moondawg; December 8th, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old December 13th, 2013, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

got the same problem on my 2004 Cavalier Bi-Fuel rig

030x codes (TRAC OFF light comes on too)

Found the following:

2004 Chevy Cavalier 2.2l is misfiring at idle speed - Fixya
Old December 16th, 2013, 1:21 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the things you wasted your money on would have tripped a cylinder specific code by the way, not a random. My daughter used to have a 97 Crapalier that had a P0300 code. Checked the stuff you replaced, then tried running the engine while unplugging one fuel injector at a time. Had one injector that made no difference, so I replaced it. Turns out it's a bad idea to replace just one injector with an aftermarket one, since they don't necessarily flow the same as a factory one, and the new one made the engine run worse. So, I soaked and swished the old injector in carb cleaner, put it back in place of the new one, and the engine ran like a champ. Also found that running through a couple tanks of gas with injector cleaner did diddly squat.
Old January 4th, 2014, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by moondawg
hey ive been dealing with this issue for a long time now ive tried everything nothing i do will make it go away here is what ive done

changed plugs,wire,coils, coil module, checked fuel presssure check compression

it starts no probems but at idle my rmps jump around and when i wanna go no power

any info would help thank you
Well have you solved the problem ??????
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Some of the things you wasted your money on would have tripped a cylinder specific code by the way, not a random. My daughter used to have a 97 Crapalier that had a P0300 code. Checked the stuff you replaced, then tried running the engine while unplugging one fuel injector at a time. Had one injector that made no difference, so I replaced it. Turns out it's a bad idea to replace just one injector with an aftermarket one, since they don't necessarily flow the same as a factory one, and the new one made the engine run worse. So, I soaked and swished the old injector in carb cleaner, put it back in place of the new one, and the engine ran like a champ. Also found that running through a couple tanks of gas with injector cleaner did diddly squat.
So What are the odds of the car working 100% and when I tried to start it in the morning at -20c it would turn over but not start and eventually I did get it started the next day but ran rough and then pulled a P0300 why would this be an injector

Last edited by eggenet; January 5th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old January 6th, 2014, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Fixed the Cavalier it was the ignition module.
Old January 7th, 2014, 1:14 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eggenet
So What are the odds of the car working 100% and when I tried to start it in the morning at -20c it would turn over but not start and eventually I did get it started the next day but ran rough and then pulled a P0300 why would this be an injector
If you had a leaky injector dribbling gas after it sits, that can flood the engine, making it difficult to start, and rough running at first till it clears up.
Glad you got it figured out though!
Old January 20th, 2014, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you had a leaky injector dribbling gas after it sits, that can flood the engine, making it difficult to start, and rough running at first till it clears up.
Glad you got it figured out though!
Bad News. The car ran like new for a few weeks and now has the same symptoms My best guess the ignition pack I bought from the wreckers must have died. Down side very cold these days to go and exchange it at the wreckers. Unfortunatly I threw out the old one if I did not throw it out I could have swaped the module and that may have fixed it.

Question what would typically go defective 1st the coils or the module.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Changed the coil pack again and the car is running like new again. Hope this coil pack will last longer then the last one. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by eggenet; January 23rd, 2014 at 9:34 AM.