Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Help troubleshooting a fuel? problem

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help troubleshooting a fuel? problem

I just bought a '92 cavalier. It seemed to run well except once in a while, at a stop light, when the light turned green and I stepped on the gas, the car would act like it was in 5th gear (its an automatic by the way) for a few seconds and then it would be fine (I don't think it has anything to do with the tranny.. I just mean that it was bogged down and choking like it was in 5th gear). Last night I was at a stop light and the same thing happened, only this time minus the fine part. I found that the car idled ok, but as soon as I touched the gas it would start choking. I put it in gear and idled it down a side road and almost made it to my work before it konked out completely. I managed to start it again for about another minute (by this time it was idling pretty rough) while I looked under the hood, but I didn't see, hear, or smell anything out of the ordinary. Now it won't even start for me. The check engine light came on while I was idling down the side road. I am hoping this scenario will give someone a clue as to what my problem might be?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old November 16th, 2007, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help troubleshooting a fuel? problem

Never mind... I ran outta gas. Stupid gas gauge.