Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Tensioner pulley won't budge

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2012, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner pulley won't budge

Hello, all. I am glad I found your forum and I appreciate you all letting me join up.

I am replacing the alternator on my 2002 Cavalier. I cannot get the tensioner pulley to budge. BUT, dang it, I forgot to loosen the tensioner pulley BEFORE I took out the 3 bolts on the alternator . Now I cannot get the pulley to budge so that I can get the serpentine belt off. Is it because of the tension of the belt on the alternator now that the alternator is askew? Or are these pulleys always very hard to move? (I'm an old battle-axe and I have tendonitis in my right thumb so maybe I just cannot get enough umph into it...?)

Thanks very much...
Carolyn
Old November 13th, 2012, 5:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I take it you loosened the alternator bolts before removing the serpentine belt? I am not sure what socket size to put on that tensoner, but with that and a break over bar, with the correct size socket on the tensoner pulley rotate it against the drive direction, and remove the belt. Then replace the alternator, reinstall belt according to the pulley diagram.
Old November 13th, 2012, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

yes, EXACTLY what I did! In my defense, I was distracted by an idiot feline who kept jumping up into the engine, LOL!

I'll try with a socket and breaker bar rather than the wrench...bit more leverage, you're right...thank you!
Old November 13th, 2012, 5:37 PM
CF Monarch

One thing after you replace the alternator, and inspect the belt before reinstalling it, is with it running make sure the belt rides "straight" with the system. The tensioner if worn out might make the belt ride off sideded, that will cause a problem. I replaced mine in my Lumina after replacing a worn belt since it wasn't tracking true to the pulley system.
I have 5 cats.
Old November 13th, 2012, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

best thing for these is a big pry bar on the tensioner pulley itself. Its the only thing that can fit in there. just make sure whatever the pry bar is wedged against isn't fragile.
Old November 14th, 2012, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

then you understand my feline dilemma, ha ha!

TY for the tips re the belt - i WILL check that for sure to make sure it's fitted correctly.

so you mean to move the pulley itself rather than the bolt...i hadn't thought of that!

i tried a socket and there's not enough room to fit it in there...just too tight. i tried with the wrench again and got it to budge a little but not enough. of course, i didn't have a piece of pipe around that would fit over the socket handle so i could get some leverage that way. SO, gonna round up a piece of pipe today...or weasel a guy friend into doing the guy thing...but i hate to have to do that... or maybe see if i can round up something to pry with. i like to dink around with cars, actually. but it can be so aggravating when you're trying to get on the road and the going is slow.
Old November 16th, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Active Member

If i remember right i used a break over bar (no socket) and plugged it into a square hole in the idler arm from under the car. Very tight between arm and frame.
Old November 16th, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by BW56
If i remember right i used a break over bar (no socket) and plugged it into a square hole in the idler arm from under the car. Very tight between arm and frame.
The replacement ones have that, original equipment on an 02, not sure, but don't think the 3/8 cutout for a breaker bar is there.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

My 2002 had the square hole from the factory as i was the first to mess with it. Hope you are as lucky.
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by BW56
My 2002 had the square hole from the factory as i was the first to mess with it. Hope you are as lucky.
They are nice to have!

Quick Reply: Tensioner pulley won't budge