Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

K10 Engine swaps 350 to 454

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K10 Engine swaps 350 to 454

I purchased a 1984 K10 with a 454 on an impulse buy, it drove but has some obvious issues, got it for 1700 so whatever, well I had it idling the other day and had a bearing seize in the bottom end (according to my friend), deciding taking on the restoration of this beauty would be maybe a little out of my experience range.

So I decided to search for a pre restored truck and actually spend some money on it, I found a 1985 with a 350 in it for 9800 (going to bump him down to 6500 probably) he told me the transmission is the 350, not sure if he meant TH350 or just the stock transmission for a 350, I was wondering if this transmission could handle a 454 if I were to decide to swap out the engines (obviously rebuild the 454), would I need to reinforce the transmission on the new truck or is that a lost cause?

I'm no mechanic nor do I have much for experience, though I do have friends that are and do, I tried finding information on google, but it all seems so cryptic to me, maybe that's a sign to not mess with what isn't broken to begin with? Any advice on these beautiful trucks is greatly appreciated