Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

key stuck in ignition, can i jump start it?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key stuck in ignition, can i jump start it?

i've got a problem with my shifter, and my key is currently stuck in my ignition. my mechanic told me to turn off everything i could, because my car is still partially on, just on accessory, but he said it would not run my battery down over night. turns out, i ended up not using the car at all today, and forgot to start it up to keep the battery alive. i remembered tonight about 10pm, about 21 hours after i'd last used it, and it was dead. since it's still partially on, i'm scared to jump it, as i do not want to mess it up any further than it is now. does anyone know if it's okay to jump a cobalt if the key is not turned fully off?
Old February 12th, 2008, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: key stuck in ignition, can i jump start it?

Your shift lock is out. Mine has done the same thing. There is a small access panel under your stearing column. You remove the lil plate and stick your finger up and hit a plunger in the column. Your key will turn to the the unlock position and you can remove your key. I would not jump the car with the accessory lock on. I dont know how to fix it i am posting a request to fix also because i have been having this same problem for a few months.
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: key stuck in ignition, can i jump start it?

It will be ok to jump with key stuck in ignition, the problem why your key is stuck is the shifter assembly. It will need to be replaced.