Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Colorado - passlock

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado - passlock

Hey folks,
My first post here. I have searched these forums for variations of passlock and not found many answers. So, I decided to post myself.

Ive got an 05 Colorado that has a really intermittent starting issue. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. I have learned to deal with it. I think I have it narrowed down to a Passlock issue but I don't know where to go from here.

Symptoms?
I try to start it, the engine turns over, but never starts. The lock symbol on the dash flashes. I wait 10 minutes. Turn the key to the on position and the lock symbol is steady. Turn the key the rest of the way and it cranks right up. It does this randomly. Sometimes it will go months with no problems. Sometimes it does it every time I try to go somewhere for two weeks. Sometimes I have to wait a total of 30 or 40 minutes in 10 minute intervals before it finally starts (what a pain when you're late for work).

What have I tried?
New keys. 5 new keys, actually. A can of compressed air in the ignition to blow out any debris. Taking the key off the chain so the weight of my key chain isn't a factor. I have tried turning the key very slowly after its been sitting over night to see if the lock flashes before or after first start attempt. It's always after. So, first start attempt, lock is solid, try to start, doesn't start, lock flashes, wait 10 minutes, lock is solid again, starts right up. I have tried causing the issue by not pushing the clutch in all the way, in gear, out of gear, e-brake on e-brake off, seatbelt on, seatbelt off... Nothing seems to be affecting the issue. To me, a computer geek, not a mechanic, it really seems to be totally random. I cannot recreate the issue. It only happens when it wants to... or rather I have not yet found the cause. I bought the truck brand new in 05. It was under warranty. Every time I had it towed in to the dealer, they'd take it off the tow truck and it would start right up. Talk about embarassing. lol. They kept it an entire week once, having one of their guys start it every hour on the hour, and could never recreate the issue. Warranty is no more, sadly.

So, my question is whats next? Do I try replacing the ignition? Is there a way to have Passlock disabled? What is the next step in the troubleshooting process?

There are two other things going on with the truck. I am not mechanically inclined enough to know if they may be related to my starting problem. It does idle kinda rough. It always has. The dealer told me its normal but I just don't know. And, the air conditioner turns off by itself sometimes. If I wiggle a cluster of wires under the dash on the passenger side it kicks back on. The only thing not stock on the truck is the stereo. I had the starting issue long before the after market stereo was installed. /shrugs. I don't know if these are relevant but I thought I would mention them.

Thank you!
LF
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution?

Were you ever able to find a solution to your problem? In the last 2 weeks, we began having the same issue with our pickup. It's also VERY intermittent for us, and we can't consistently recreate the issue. Some days, it will start just fine 10 times in a row, and the next day, it won't start after attempting it 30 times. I'm also in IT, so not a mechanic by any means. However, I am an analyst, so the first thing I did was started researching. I haven't been able to find much, other than possibly changing out the ignition switch, as it might not be reading my keys (tried both, neither work consistently) correctly. Another thread said something about getting keyless entry, as the remote might "trick" the pass lock feature, but we don't have automatic locks, so that won't work for us. From what it sounds like, the Pass Lock kicks in whenever it thinks someone with the incorrect key attempts to start the vehicle, but I'm not 100% sure on that... Any info you could send my way would be great.
Old October 13th, 2010, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by spanishghost
Were you ever able to find a solution to your problem? In the last 2 weeks, we began having the same issue with our pickup. It's also VERY intermittent for us, and we can't consistently recreate the issue. Some days, it will start just fine 10 times in a row, and the next day, it won't start after attempting it 30 times. I'm also in IT, so not a mechanic by any means. However, I am an analyst, so the first thing I did was started researching. I haven't been able to find much, other than possibly changing out the ignition switch, as it might not be reading my keys (tried both, neither work consistently) correctly. Another thread said something about getting keyless entry, as the remote might "trick" the pass lock feature, but we don't have automatic locks, so that won't work for us. From what it sounds like, the Pass Lock kicks in whenever it thinks someone with the incorrect key attempts to start the vehicle, but I'm not 100% sure on that... Any info you could send my way would be great.

No, sorry. I never fixed it. I am still just living with it. I have learned to try to leave 15 minutes early for important stuff to give my truck time to not start. I suspect I will never fix it. I am very close to handing this truck down to my 15 year old sister for her first vehicle and buying myself something new. She and our parents will be more likely to take the truck in somewhere and have it fixed once and for all whereas I am content just dealing with it for a few more months.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default hmm

I have an 2005 colorado and these are the exact same problems i have. Wont start, wait ten minutes and it cranks, I have to push the floor board to get the ac to kick on and it idles rough. (even 100 miles after i clean the intake). just pain in the rear problems from chevrolet. Ive love chev/gmc but i may go ford from here on out if i ever change.
Old July 11th, 2012, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007, 4Dr, 5 Cyl with the same problems. Dealer said it would be about 3 Hours of shop time + the part to replace the ignition and passlock parts, about $300. Other internet research makes me think that sometimes its not the ignition switch, but the wire contacts to the switch and passlock sensors. Apparently the passlock connections get oxidized and intermittently lose connection. Some folks have gotten to the ignition switch, cleaned the contacts, applied a little silicone grease to inhibit oxidation and run good ever since.

I'm just not looking forward to digging into the steering column to start the process.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

I had a friend that bought a wrecked trail blazer he did the repairs and the truck looked like new.

He had the same problem took it to various dealers to no avail, he finally sold off the truck he was frustrated and just gave up, the truck was not dependable enough to rely on for his use.

There has got to be a way to dissect the pass lock from the vehicle, perhaps using a ign switch without the passlock, it might mean giving up the use of the power locks but I think it would be worth it.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

i had a 02 impala and had the same problem. very frustrating problem, never got it fixed, i just bought a 2012 colorado and after seeing this post i pray i dont have this problem again
Old April 19th, 2013, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

my 2004 did this in 05 the dealer had to replace the ignition switch.
Old May 21st, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Colorado and it is giving me the same trouble. I am afraid to drive it too far from home because I never know when it will not crank. I have carried it to several shops and it always cranks for them. I am terribly frustrated. Don't want to get rid of the truck,it only has 50 thousand miles on it.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Colorado intermittent starting problems

HELLO EVERYONE,
I too have experienced the same starting problems after 10 minutes , starts up and acts like nothing happened.
Was at the dealer this week , they changed the ignition start switch with passlocl sensor, Has this worked for anyone? Cost $420.00 , GM won,t pay!!

I TRULLY BELEIVE GM SHOULD PUT THIS PROBLEM ON THE RECALL LIST,
MANY MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING THIS EXact PROBLEM.

I AM WILLING TO SIGN A PETITION

let us know.

Quick Reply: Colorado - passlock