Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2011 Cruze Transmission and Antifreeze Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Cruze Transmission and Antifreeze Issues

I purchased a new 2011 Cruze in June of 2011. I have had some issues with it:

Transmission: The transmission is choppy and erratic. When I am stopped or nearly stopped and accelerate to go again, the transmission just revs as if it is in neutral. This is not safe - make me a prime candidate for a rear-end collision. When traveling at cruising speed of 50-60mph, it is choppy and shifting when you would not expect it to shift. When coming to a fast stop, it clunks and then lunges - so firm pressure on the brake pedal is necessary not to hit the car in front of me. I have had the car into the Chevy dealership 3 times now and am told that since the Chevy mechanic cannot duplicate the problems and there are no lights on there is nothing that can be done.

Antifreeze Odor: One evening this winter the heater did not work. After about an hour of the car being turned off, the heater then would not shut off - it got overly hot and nothing I did would turn off the heater. The next morning the antifreeze odor began. Again, 3 times back to the Chevy dealer - same answer - cannot duplicate problem - heater gauge ok, no leaks, no trouble lights. Last week and the time before we were given a GM bulletin that the engineers are working on the issue. Baiscally - we were told - nothing wrong - live with it.

I have been driving since 1960 - and for the past 15-20 years have owned Hondas. NEVER have I had any trouble with them - oil changes and general maintenance. I thought I would go "American" and boy did I get a surprise.

Hate to say this, but I've been reading up on the Lemon Laws in our state. I am very upset about having to drive a car I am paying hard earned money for that is not operating properly and I'm being told there is nothing wrong.

Last edited by irene91744; May 7th, 2012 at 8:20 AM.
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi irene91744,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I just moved this post to the proper section.

Please go back, read the rules, and re-post in the

"welcome" section...
Old May 14th, 2012, 1:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS I have posted previously I find the auto transmission on the Cruze Excellent, howevever I shall not be buying another CRUZE , No DRL, No tyre pressure monitor, No powered foldback door mirrors, No separate display for trip, poor quality windscreen, etc. and very poor fuel consumption only 27.8 on a Diesel auto Not good enough plus very high insurance premium