Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Brand Review > Engine Building & Overhauling
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Search
Welcome to Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.
Sponsored by Ultrarev
Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
CF Beginner
1986 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Default Need advices to get high HP out of a 350

Hey guys! I just dropped a newly rebuilt 350 in my chevy pick up. Now I have my old 350 2 bolt main block in my garage. Could anybody tell me what combination of carb, intake, exhaust, cam and heads I should put to get around 400hp. That engine is gonna be a project and I'm gonna use it in my c/k 1500 to do some mud competition. It's gonna be a long term project so even if the parts aren't the cheapest ones it's not a big big deal. Thx a lot!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Fender_102,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

A Thread Search at this site while you're waiting for some more replies should turn up a couple of interesting combos.

I recall a thread about a 383 setup that sounded a lot like what you are looking for from a couple months ago.

350s are great to rebuild, because there's just so much different hi-perf stuff available in the aftermarket.

Last edited by therewolf; 10-15-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
CF Beginner
1986 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Thx rivereye,

I will sure look for that other thread while I get more answers on mine. I'm new to this so I appreciate your help.

Thx again.

Last edited by fender_102; 10-15-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
CF Junior Member
1989 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

hey edelbrock make top end kits for 435hp for a 350 and if u stroke it to 383 they have a 460hp kit...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
CF Beginner
1986 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Thx a lot guys that info makes a lot of sens. I'm gonna figure out what I'm gonna need for my application and then I'll get back to you guys. For sure the truck will be used mostly for trail and mud ridding. And maybe a little showin off in the city... Hehe. So thx again and you'll hear from me soon.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
CF Beginner

First you need to decide exactly what the use of this engine will be? Daily driver, street car/truck, etc....
Second you need to know how much you are willing to spend.
Third how heavy is the vehicle, is it an automatic, and what is the axle ratio?
With this information I can definitly give you some tips..
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Be careful if you build a 383 stroker using only a 2 bolt main. If you give it too much power you might not like the results >.<. I wouldn't stroke it out, I would just get the crank turned and then put a bigger cam in it. Bore it out .030 over. More displacement=more hp. A simple performer series intake and carb with bigger heads will give you plenty of power out of a 350 without stressing your mains too much. check to see what the heads are on the motor. If they are nice heads just get them cleaned up. if not get a set of 1.94's or 2.02's if you can find them.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran
1990 Chevrolet Camaro

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunMufflerBearings View Post
More displacement=more hp.

uh, not always. trust me. 20+ years building engines. with todays tech and parts, hp is easy to get without upping displacement. in fact, i've seen larger displacement lose power.

as for two bolt vs 4 bolt, if the block, crank are prepped the right way, 2 bolt will hold and perform just as well. most of the 383's i've done, as well as others, use 2 bolt mains. 4 bolt is stronger, but again, with todays tech and parts, 2 bolt is right there with 4.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM
CF Beginner
1986 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Alright guys thx a lot for the info! The block is actually still sitting in the old garage! I'm in the process of building a new one.... A bit bigger! Once that's done, I'll have more room to work so there will be a good corner of the garage reserved for that project! While I do that, the other 350 that I dropped in the truck is still holdin pretty good! Thx again!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxman04 View Post
uh, not always. trust me. 20+ years building engines. with todays tech and parts, hp is easy to get without upping displacement. in fact, i've seen larger displacement lose power.

as for two bolt vs 4 bolt, if the block, crank are prepped the right way, 2 bolt will hold and perform just as well. most of the 383's i've done, as well as others, use 2 bolt mains. 4 bolt is stronger, but again, with todays tech and parts, 2 bolt is right there with 4.

Sorry Sir,but I respectfully disagree with you.Larger C.U. engines will and do produce more output.They accept larger cams easier,have a greater torque output and following the formula for intake runners which is .5 x c.i. needs and accepts larger intake runners that product a greater output.It's the way physics work.It is very much easier for a 383 to get near 400hp over a 350 and still have good idle manors.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Tags
1500, 1989, 350, chevy, combo, high, higher, horsepower, hp, motor, rpm, silverado, tech, tips, top