Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Need help please. Break in cylinder wall. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2015, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please. Break in cylinder wall. Need advice

So I've read a lot of posts on here in my days and have learned a lot but am stuck with an issue. I've got a 92 camaro rs that I swapped out the 305 to a 350 which was built by a friend of a friend but I loved the way it ran so I bought is car and swapped the motor.

My car is the one I bought when I was 15, did the motor swap,when I was 19 (I'm 32 now) and is one I intend to keep for good so has always been a project car. So basically I was young and knew just enough to make it work.

Now that I'm older, I'm going through it again cause I blew my transmission so decided to pull the motor to rebuild it while I had the transmission being done.

I thought I had everything figured out, did all my homework, got the parts I need from summit racing. Tore the motor down, cleaned everything, painted it, heads and all. Learned a lot about the motor and head combo along the way via serial numbers which was cool.

But when I decided to pull the pistons to hone the cylinders and run into this and need to know just how bad it is and if I can fix it. I'm attaching a picture so you can see but on one of the cylinders, there is a break where it almost looks like the cam hit it. The thing is, the cylinder opposite of it has a notch in it.

My thought is this, go in and notch it out to match the other cylinder and give clearance then hone the Pistons, new rings, then finish the rebuild. I'm somewhat of a novice so could use any help possible.

The block's engine codes are:
V0213TKA
T8S516750
Those are on front and on back is:
A208

Which I believe is a 350 from 69-79. It has also had 0.040" bore from previously. The 0.040 is stamped everywhere but I also noticed the crank had:
RT35
M.010
R.040

So I'm curious as to what those mean as well.

The heads are:

Which I believe is a '96 vortec head

The crankshaft is stamped"

Sorry for the long post but I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people out there who can probably help me in many ways so I wanted to be thorough.

So any advice regarding anything would be appreciated but my main concern right now is that break in the cylinder. Luckily it doesn't go up past the top of the piston but I also don't want it to hit again and make it much worse.

Thank you anyone for your advice
Attached Thumbnails Need help please. Break in cylinder wall. Need advice-image.jpg