Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Wanting to build a 383, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2014, 3:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wanting to build a 383, Need Advice

Hello everyone,

So here's my situation, I have a 89 350, 2 bolt main, 1 piece rear main seal roller Engine I'm rebuilding and I want to build a 383 stroker. I'm not sure about what Camshaft to get or what pistons to get. I'm not sure which pistons to buy because I don't know which ones are for a 383.

I plan to go with a roller cam and hydraulic lifters and Compression in the 9 range with dished pistons, I was planing on using the stock connecting rods aswell.

I plan on getting this Scat 383 Crank
Scat 935050L Scat 9000 Series Cast Pro Comp Lightweight Crankshafts @ JEGS
with that crank being externally balanced would I just put my 350 Harmonic Balancer and Felx plate on it?

Engine casting # 14093638
Cylinder Head # 14102193
Tans: 4L60
Rear end: idk

It's a daily driver/work and towing truck. I'm looking for good low to mid range.

I'm not looking to make insane HP with this engine.

Also sorry for the jumpy writing, I've never been very good at it lol.

“if any other information is needed I'll try my hardest to get it”
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, a 383 build is a great way to go. When doing the build, you will want to go with new piston, connecting rods, and piston rings. Summit Racing has a rotating assembly kit by Eagle Performance that is great. It has everything you'd need for building the rotating assembly (aka short block). Their part number for it is: ESP-B13402E030

Keep in mind when doing a build, you want to determine what engine you should build based off of where you want your power band. Would you prefer more bottom end torque with lower rpm, or high rpm's and maybe more horsepower.
My point is building an engine is kind of a big deal and you'll be throwing a fair amount of money into it if you do it right. So just make sure it'll be a build you'll be happy with.