Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Chevy Equinox Factory AMP?

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Chevy Equinox Factory AMP?

Hey,

My 2005 Chevy Equinox has the premium sound. The amp is no good. It (ACDelco 22727883) is very costly. Has anyone had any luck replacing theirs with an after market amp or bypassing it? I replaced the head unit with a touch screen pioneer, but I have no desire to replace the speakers.

Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2013, 1:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyEquinox
Hey,

My 2005 Chevy Equinox has the premium sound. The amp is no good. It (ACDelco 22727883) is very costly. Has anyone had any luck replacing theirs with an after market amp or bypassing it? I replaced the head unit with a touch screen pioneer, but I have no desire to replace the speakers.

Thanks!
The factory amp can be bypassed, but your factory sub will not work. When/how did you determine that the factory amp is not working?
Old June 6th, 2013, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Arrow

Well over a year ago when I first got the car the previous owner had issues with a constant static in the speakers. They also had issues the the factory head unit not wanting to turn on at times. The remedy to the head unit was simply replacing it. The static continued to stay in the speakers. As of right now the temp. fix I have found is to unhook all of the speakers except for the drivers rear door speaker and sub. This allows me to have music. After reading what little bit I have been able to find, it all points to the amp having gotten water/pop on it some time. Does anyone have the wiring info on bypassing it? Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you sure that the other three speakers are not blown? The factory amp usually fails in an all-or-nothing fashion meaning they don't produce any sound at all when they go bad.

I have attached a wiring diagram. Bypassing the amp is simple. Just cut the wires at the amp and splice the input (from radio) wires to the output (to the speakers) wires.

2005_Equinox_Premium_Sound.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; June 6th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Are you sure that the other three speakers are not blown? The factory amp usually fails in an all-or-nothing fashion meaning they don't produce any sound at all when they go bad.

I have attached a wiring diagram. Bypassing the amp is simple. Just cut the wires at the amp and splice the input (from radio) wires to the output (to the speakers) wires.

Attachment 5550
That is very helpful. Coincidentally, I just started experiencing the same problem with my 2005 Nox this week. All of the speakers on the passenger side are full of static, but the speakers on the drivers side are working perfectly. I also would expect the amp to be all or nothing, but it does seem like the amp is the issue. I also have a Pioneer after market radio with video, and it has pre-amp outputs, so I am going to try to run some RCA wires from that to other speakers to test the radio, and then I am going to try to test the speakers as well if it comes down to that. I saw that Metra has an amp bypass available (part 70-2052, Rakuten.com - Metra Electronics SATURN VUE AMP BYPASS, $13 with shipping). I'm not quite sure where that would fit in, but it is a discontinued part so I ordered one anyway, hoping it will help me if it comes down to bypassing the amp by running the wires back to the radio.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fmagic
That is very helpful. Coincidentally, I just started experiencing the same problem with my 2005 Nox this week. All of the speakers on the passenger side are full of static, but the speakers on the drivers side are working perfectly. I also would expect the amp to be all or nothing, but it does seem like the amp is the issue. I also have a Pioneer after market radio with video, and it has pre-amp outputs, so I am going to try to run some RCA wires from that to other speakers to test the radio, and then I am going to try to test the speakers as well if it comes down to that. I saw that Metra has an amp bypass available (part 70-2052, Rakuten.com - Metra Electronics SATURN VUE AMP BYPASS, $13 with shipping). I'm not quite sure where that would fit in, but it is a discontinued part so I ordered one anyway, hoping it will help me if it comes down to bypassing the amp by running the wires back to the radio.
Did you get a chance to try the bypass harness. I am curious if it worked.
I would like to order one if it worked for you.
Ralph Schmidtke
ralphschmidtke@comcast.net
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rschmidtke
Did you get a chance to try the bypass harness. I am curious if it worked.
I would like to order one if it worked for you.
Ralph Schmidtke
ralphschmidtke@comcast.net
Did you get a chance to try the Metra cable?
rschmidtke
Old October 30th, 2013, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the Metra Amp Bypass cable worked, but it only confirmed that my speakers were blown. I ended up replacing all 4 speakers and then also left the bypass cable in place, and my sound is now better than before. I just got the cheapest Pioneer speakers from Crutchfield. I was concerned that the factory amp was the cause and that the new speakers would get blown, which is why I left the bypass in place. The only problem I've got now is that I have no factory chimes because the chimes typically go through the factory adapter.
Old December 1st, 2013, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

I have a NEW amp from Amazon for my '05 Equinox that I paid 250. for. Installed it and discovered my cd player is shot. Decided not to sink any more money into car and will sell this amp for 150. (includes shipping).

Al
Old December 11th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Do u still have ur Amp? Can u provide me with it Serial number?
Email me at bilal.sameer88@gmail.com

Last edited by Sameerbilal; December 11th, 2013 at 7:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Chevy Equinox Factory AMP?