Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2014, 4:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's all about the ABS

As with the rest of you, I have had nothing but problems with the ABS. Chevy dealer had it for 2 days before telling me nothing was wrong. As the mechanic was saying as such, he asked to call me back because "he just thought of something". Really? Well, called two hours later to tell me it was the sensors - cost of replacement $500+. Drove good for two months and had the same problem again. Brought back to same dealer (who told me over the phone when I made the appointment, that I will be paying another diagnostic charge - and I went ballistic) who had the truck for another two days before telling me that nothing was showing up. I drove it off the lot with the ABS kicking it at low speeds. 1 week later, had another mechanic tell me it was the drivers side bearing. Fixed the ABS issue for 1 day. Brought it back and they could not figure it out. Called Chevy to complain, and the dealer and I played phone tag for several days before I just gave up. After several close calls of hitting another vehicle - I've just given up. Haven't drove the vehicle for 2 months as it is not safe. I've already filed several complaints and have plead with the NHTSB to look into this issue simply based on the number of complaints with these ABS issues. I urge you all to do the same - even if you have since corrected the problem.
Old June 5th, 2014, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS/Traction Control

We bought a 2007 Equinox July of 2013 with 69,xxxx miles and have had problems for the last 5 months. The ABS and Traction control light keep coming on, sometimes staying on for weeks. The brakes lock up and once I stop I smell something burning. I am so scared of having an accident that I have completly stopped driving my truck but yet still paying for it! We took it to the GM dealership and they had it for a week and told us nothing was wrong and that the brakes never locked up on them...then locked up on us on our way home from the dealership. I am beyond upset, this is our family vechile and I no longer feel it is safe for my family! I came across this site while looking to see if there was a recall for this probelm, was so surprised after reading all the comments on here that there is not!!! Come on GM, I put my family in one of your vechiles, the least you could do is fix this problem that SO many of us are having so our families are safe!!!
#willneverbuyGMagain
Old June 6th, 2014, 8:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by L&T'smama
We bought a 2007 Equinox July of 2013 with 69,xxxx miles and have had problems for the last 5 months. The ABS and Traction control light keep coming on, sometimes staying on for weeks. The brakes lock up and once I stop I smell something burning. I am so scared of having an accident that I have completly stopped driving my truck but yet still paying for it! We took it to the GM dealership and they had it for a week and told us nothing was wrong and that the brakes never locked up on them...then locked up on us on our way home from the dealership. I am beyond upset, this is our family vechile and I no longer feel it is safe for my family! I came across this site while looking to see if there was a recall for this probelm, was so surprised after reading all the comments on here that there is not!!! Come on GM, I put my family in one of your vechiles, the least you could do is fix this problem that SO many of us are having so our families are safe!!!
#willneverbuyGMagain
Hello there,

I am truly sorry for your concern regarding your Equinox. If you would like me to contact your dealership on your behalf, I would be happy to do so. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information and the dealership you have been working with. Hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 8th, 2014, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

I have a 2006 Equinox and have had the ABS and TC issue for a while. I had the ABS sensor replaced, suspension fix (shocks and struts), brakes replaced and still having this pulsating ABS issues. Don't know what I should do next.
Old June 9th, 2014, 8:05 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi catta,

So sorry to hear of your concerns! You are welcome to send us a private message at any time so we may further assist you.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by catta
I have a 2006 Equinox and have had the ABS and TC issue for a while. I had the ABS sensor replaced, suspension fix (shocks and struts), brakes replaced and still having this pulsating ABS issues. Don't know what I should do next.
Old June 9th, 2014, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello there,

I am truly sorry for your concern regarding your Equinox. If you would like me to contact your dealership on your behalf, I would be happy to do so. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information and the dealership you have been working with. Hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

We're not looking for someone to call a dealership and make appointments so we can spend $100's of dollars on trial and error "fixes" we want answers and safety recalls. We have all had the same issue. Obviously there is something wrong here. And everyone tells the same story of going to a dealership and them replacing one thing, and there is still an issue then they replace another and there is still and issue. I can not afford to have my car in the garage getting "fixed" for a week at a time. It would be different if we actually knew the problem and that could be fixed but we go from wiring harness, to sensors, to wheel barring's to hubs... I work and need my vehicle. We want this fixed. It's damn scary when you don't know for sure if you're going to be able to stop at the next light. I can tell you one thing for sure this will be the last GM I ever buy.
Old June 9th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Hello,

We understand your frustrations and want to ensure you feel safe in your vehicle. As our dealerships are our eyes and ears on the field, we recommend our technicians diagnose the vehicle so they may be able to provide technical advice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you decide to visit your local Chevrolet dealership, please let us know, and we would be happy to assist with the process.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by YouBugger
We're not looking for someone to call a dealership and make appointments so we can spend $100's of dollars on trial and error "fixes" we want answers and safety recalls. We have all had the same issue. Obviously there is something wrong here. And everyone tells the same story of going to a dealership and them replacing one thing, and there is still an issue then they replace another and there is still and issue. I can not afford to have my car in the garage getting "fixed" for a week at a time. It would be different if we actually knew the problem and that could be fixed but we go from wiring harness, to sensors, to wheel barring's to hubs... I work and need my vehicle. We want this fixed. It's damn scary when you don't know for sure if you're going to be able to stop at the next light. I can tell you one thing for sure this will be the last GM I ever buy.
Old June 10th, 2014, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by YouBugger
I know your frustration with this braking issue. I experienced this problem with my Equinox about three years ago. I trade in a 97 corolla for a used 2006 Equinox back on 2007 with 20K on it. I took my Nox to the dealership where I bought it and the problem was fixed. It was the wiring harness of the driver side front wheel brake assy. The problem arose at about 60,000 miles. After fixing the problem I put 30k to this vehicle without further problems except an electricl issue with one of the radiator fans at about 90k. I fixed the problem (burned wire) and a few months later I traded my Nox for a 2013 Equinox. I have 11k miles on this vehicle wthout problems. Fuel economy is not as advertised but it is about 25 mpg avg.

GM failed to recall previous Nox models with this braking issue.
Old June 10th, 2014, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue

I too have had issues with the ABS, changed the sensor twice and the hub once. I have even gone so far as to cut off the connector at the hub and solder the wires together seeing that the connector itself looked worn and corroded.
Still had the pulsing in the brakes, so to give myself peace of mind I removed two fuses, one a 40 Amp and the other a 10 Amp. The ABS, TC and the brake like are on, but the pulsing has stopped.
Really wish Chevy would do a recall on this issue because it is going to cause alot of rear end collisions and maybe Chevy being sued.
Old June 16th, 2014, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is in the relay. After spending about a grand for Chevy to guess what was wrong it was just a simple relay.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems