Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox - horn / relay / intermittent beep problem

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2017, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox - horn / relay / intermittent beep problem

I have a 2006 Equinox that hates me. I've had an intermittent horn problem for a couple of years. I thought it was broken, but I tried replacing the horn relay. The horn still didn't work, but the key fob made the horn chirp when I locked the car. Then after driving a few miles, the horn started emitting short beeps at random. I had to pull over and remove the horn relay to make it stop. I can't afford to take it to a dealer, so I bought an aftermarket horn and button - not realizing that the aftermarket horn needed to be wired through the relay also. I can't get an inspection sticker until I get the thing fixed. Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks in advance!
Old January 10th, 2017, 6:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by southerndruid
I have a 2006 Equinox that hates me. I've had an intermittent horn problem for a couple of years. I thought it was broken, but I tried replacing the horn relay. The horn still didn't work, but the key fob made the horn chirp when I locked the car. Then after driving a few miles, the horn started emitting short beeps at random. I had to pull over and remove the horn relay to make it stop. I can't afford to take it to a dealer, so I bought an aftermarket horn and button - not realizing that the aftermarket horn needed to be wired through the relay also. I can't get an inspection sticker until I get the thing fixed. Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks in advance!
If the horn works with the keyless remote, then the horn itself is fine. I'm thinking that you have a fault in the circuit for the steering wheel button. All the button does is ground out the wire going to it when pressed. I've attached a wiring diagram that may help you. As you'll see in the wiring diagram, the BCM is tapped into that same wire which allows it to sound the horn when it sees fit (i.e. when you use the keyless remote).

2005-2006_Equinox_Horn_Wiring_diagram.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; January 10th, 2017 at 6:21 PM.