Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Equinox Issues

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2015, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Equinox Issues

Love my car. Got it used in Feb2015. My 2009 Equinox has 56700 miles. AC compressor keeps cycling off and on when supposed to be on. Son tried to recharge AC and it cycled off. He could not get it to take full charge with this issue. It gets warmer in temp when shuts down. Blowing air just not cool air. What could it be? Approximate cost? Single mom-not a lot of money. Trying to learn auto things to keep from getting ripped off. Service traction control light came on right after I got vehicle and dealership said was not covered. What does this cost to repair? I have it off right now. Also have issue with key getting stuck in ignition when car is off and in park. Have to wait till hear click and then take key out. Why and how to fix please? I hear a lot about this being an issue but people are opting to just deal with it. Last few days it has been happening a lot and I am getting very frustrated. It is starting to look like I bought a money pit here. Only had the car since Feb 2015. Can someone help me please? Thank you.
Old July 27th, 2015, 5:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ymv1999
...AC compressor keeps cycling off and on when supposed to be on. Son tried to recharge AC and it cycled off. He could not get it to take full charge with this issue. It gets warmer in temp when shuts down. Blowing air just not cool air. What could it be?...
There are a few things you can check. First, make sure the cooling fans turn on when you turn on the the A/C. If no air is blowing through the condenser (located in front of radiator) you won't get any cold air. You should also check the condenser to make sure it isn't plugged with bugs, dirt, or other debris.

Unlike many other vehicles, is it actually normal for the A/C compressor on the Equinox to cycle on/off under the right conditions. The evaporator core temp is monitored with a sensor. When it's temperature drops too low, the A/C compressor is temporarily disengaged until the air blowing through the evaporator core warms it again; usually about 10-20 seconds.

...Service traction control light came on right after I got vehicle and dealership said was not covered. What does this cost to repair? I have it off right now...
It's nearly impossible to estimate the repair cost with any degree of accuracy with so little info.

Are you getting both the SERVICE STABILITRAK and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL messages?
Is your ABS warning light on?
Which engine does your Equinox have - 3.4L/3400 or DOHC 3.6L?
Is your check engine light on?

...Also have issue with key getting stuck in ignition when car is off and in park. Have to wait till hear click and then take key out. Why and how to fix please? I hear a lot about this being an issue but people are opting to just deal with it...
This is usually caused by a bad Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid located under the shift lever. Sometimes jamming the shift lever into park helps free it up, but sometimes not. You will need to disassemble the console to inspect/replace it. It is part number 15270327 for all 2007-2009 Equinox/Torrent and is only available from a dealership for about $30.

Last edited by ruley73; July 27th, 2015 at 9:41 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old July 27th, 2015, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting the service traction control message. No ABS warning lights. No check engine lights either. It is the 3.4 6 cylinder motor. On the key issue- I tried jamming the shifter in case something was stuck in there from previous owner. I got the instructions and followed them. It did not work. I will have to have dealer fix that. But thanks for the info. I really appreciate the help. I am really learning a lot and I like what I am learning. I feel more informed so thank you for your help. Let me know if there is another question to help me figure this out on traction control. The ac issue will have to be checked out by dealer.