Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Equinox transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Equinox transmission problems?

I am experiencing a couple of problems. When I am slowing down, at about 30 mph it hesitates then shifts down hard. It feels like you were rear ended by another car. Took it to dealer a couple of times and get the "can't get it to duplicate" answer. When accelerating, especially up hills, trans feels like it is disengaging then it shifts in hard. I will be going up hills at 65mph, pressing on the accelerator harder and harder, now doing 60 mph, then it hesitates, shifts, and now I am suddenly up to 75 mph. What the heck?

I was in heavy traffic in Vegas and needed to get over fast. When I put my foot in it......the rpms revved up but I went no where, let off the gas and then it kicked in and I almost hit the car in the next lane. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?
Old July 7th, 2013, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
I would try another dealership and you may also want to inquire as to if there are any software updates for your vehicle...sometimes its as simple as having the transmission control module software re-flashed...
Old July 10th, 2013, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

I had a similar issue just recently, and it turned out to be an issue that was supposedly fixed after the 2009 model (i have a 2010 4 cyl). The 3-5-R wave plate was failing, and when it started it was hesitant and shifting hard. They day I went to take it in, I had no reverse, and could only manually shift it over 3k RPM. Thankfully I was still within my warranty (but not much longer), but the rash of issues definitely has me second guessing another Chevy. Since February I have replaced the AC Compressor, AC Condenser, Timing Chain, AC Actuator, Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and now this.

On the plus side for me was that the dealer had it fixed in a day without question.

One thing i did notice a few days before the failure, was that when driving through a neighborhood at 28-30mph, I could hear a crackling sound. It's faint, but it was there. If your's is doing the same, maybe that will help out with the dealer.

- Also, I had taken it in for the hard shifts, and they too could not replicate the problem. I just continued to drive until it failed. Took about 2 months for that to happen.

Last edited by jeepstyx; July 10th, 2013 at 3:01 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down fixed the problem!

Well took it in again, they looked at me like I was crazy. I don't know if it is because being a woman, they think I know nothing about cars, but I found them very indignant. I fixed the problem though.....I drove over to Ford, traded in the Equinox, and got a brand new Ford Edge! Sorry Chevy, but I just couldn't see this problem being taken care of properly. Thanks for the suggestions though. Doubt if I will be a Chevy owner again.
Old July 15th, 2013, 3:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

jgray,

Sorry to hear that you had such a tough time getting your vehicle issue corrected. Hopefully we can win you back as a Chevrolet Customer one day. Best of luck.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 29th, 2013, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

I just changed the transmission fluid on my 07 equinox. It was pretty dark and slightly burnt smelling. I have driven about 150mi so far and seems to be doing ok.

Just wondering if anyone has ever put a cooler on their transmission? What type/size did you install?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trans problem 2012 equinox 4 cyl

I have had numerous problems with hard shift delayed shift and stall shift for about 2 years. Every time I take it to the dealer they can not duplicate. I have read on many forums this is an on going problem. Has anyone got this repaired and if so how ?
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission shifting hard!!

I am experiencing a Transmission problems. When I am slowing down, at about 30 mph it hesitates then shifts down hard. It feels like you were rear ended by another car. Also when I take off slowly it shifts hard. It doesn't do it all the time but for a care that is less than 2 years old I don't think I should be dealing with this!!!! I'm afraid i'm going to get the same answer as everyone else "Can not duplicate". Has anyone else had this problem and has had it resolved?
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by katie_winks
I am experiencing a Transmission problems. When I am slowing down, at about 30 mph it hesitates then shifts down hard. It feels like you were rear ended by another car. Also when I take off slowly it shifts hard. It doesn't do it all the time but for a care that is less than 2 years old I don't think I should be dealing with this!!!! I'm afraid i'm going to get the same answer as everyone else "Can not duplicate". Has anyone else had this problem and has had it resolved?
Hi katie_winks,

I recognize your concern with your vehicle shifting and understand how this matter may be frustrating. If you'd like for us to try and look more into this for you or follow up with your dealership, please feel free to private message us your VIN and contact information.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 28th, 2014, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Can you do anything to help me ?

Quick Reply: 2012 Equinox transmission problems?