Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2013, 1:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mychevy13
Mjoines & everyone else I have the same issues with my 2013 equinox. I took it in last week and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course the noise isn't consistent so I understand. However, they told me that I would just have to let the problem manifest a bit more! Help has anyone's car been rid of the problem?????
Hello Mychevy13,

I am sorry you are also experiencing an occasional knocking noise from the back end on your Equinox. I understand an intermittent issue can be frustrating to deal with. I am sorry the dealer was not able to fix this concern. If you would like to further discuss your issue or have additional questions, please reach out to us via private message and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealership.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 1st, 2013, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer found a bulletin on this. They refer to the sound as a popping noise. The fix is replacing something called a fuel module. This involves taking down the fuel tank.
Old December 28th, 2013, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Equinox thump noise

My 2013 Chevy Equinox qith 17,000 miles is having the same exact problem. It is not consistent but it makes a thump noise in the rear after I start the car and sometimes at red lights. I took it into the dealership yesterday and they said they could not recreate the noise and saw nothing wrong so they could not fix anything. They said to bring it back when I can leave it for a few days so they can try to see if it happens but doing that is not very convenient especially if they don't hear it again. Do you recommend me leaving it there in hopes that they hear it or so should I tell them to call gm?
Old December 30th, 2013, 7:31 AM
Official GM Rep

AEllis1382,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your Equinox. I know it can be frustrating when your concern is difficult to replicate while at the dealership. If you do have a few days to leave your vehicle at the dealership, we can certainly try to assist. We can also look into your rental car availability. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 6th, 2014, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

OMG - help me please...I bought a 2014 Equinox last week at Freedom Chevrolet in San Antonio, Texas. I have heard that knocking at the rear of the care about 3 times now. My husband thought I was joking or crazy so very relieved to see other posts regarding that issue. Last night when we were stopped at a light, he heard the knocking and said "We better let that person out of the trunk"! He was just being funny, but then I told him that it was odd, happened sporadically and I was glad that he had heard it. I took the vehicle with me to the dealership and spoke with new car sales manager Charles Pircher who says he's never heard of such a knocking sound. He walks with me over the service dept and asks that manager if he is familiar with anything like that - and that service manager shrugs no as well. Charles then speculates that the bass speaker may be affected by the eco-gas program that is running. This was bogus since I have read the threads posted about this same problem on this forum. Anyway, they told me to bring the car in tomorrow morning (Friday, Jan 7) and they'd take a look. I'm reluctant to take it in because I fear they will try to fix something that isn't really the cause and mess the car up even mores.

I hope you can reply to me at this e-mail address: linda@maclinsolutions.com please. I really, really need help. I hear that the Love It or Return It program ended last Sept..and I'm having serious buyers remorse.
Old February 6th, 2014, 7:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Equinoxowner
My new equinox will occasionally make a knocking noise from the back end when first starting. The noise has never happened once the car gets warmed up. The handful of times it has happened, it was before I first put in it drive or when I have just started driving it and are coming to a stop or at a stop. The noise last about 10 seconds and seems to happen most often when the weather is cold. But the noise is sparatic so when I took it in to be checked, there was no noise so they said they couldn't do anything and if it gets worse, bring it back. It happens at times when I am in gear and in park. I don't think it's the brake since it makes noise while in park (without foot on brake).
I've searched different forums and can't find anyone else with the rear end knocking. Can anyone suggest what might be causing it?
does it go away when driving with the liftgate open or if put a thin blacket over the striker then close the hatch. If yes, the liftgate striker needs to be adjusted tighter.
Just finished repairing one of these. The striker needs to be moved laterally not forward or rearward.

Last edited by tech2; February 6th, 2014 at 7:22 PM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 and its doing the same thing with the knocking noise
Old April 7th, 2014, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

Mine is doing the same...scared me I have only had it a week and it happens when I turn it on or at a stand still
Old April 8th, 2014, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy equinox - gm knows about this

I was so discouraged when I first heard the knocking at the back right end of the new car. And I see more and more people asking about this problem. Freedom Chevrolet was kind enough to let me exchange my vehicle and the new Equinox I have not hasn't make that noise, so I'm especially thankful for that. BUT THE PROBLEM IS KNOWN TO GM AND THOSE EXPERIENCING THE SAME KNOCKING PROBLEM SHOULD ASK THEIR DEALER TO CALL GM FOR INFORMATION ON THE REPAIR. IT IS THE AUXILIARY PUMP.
You may receive a GM/Chevy Customer Service Rep reply to your issues, but they act like they can help, but then didn't afterall. Here's what I had to do to get the problem resolved.
I cried and pleaded with the Sales Manager to take that "lemon" car back and give me another. I printed out countless forum pages to show that indeed there was a problem with the vehicles that started with the 2013 Equinox. I also showed it all to the Service Department - and that man really had never heard of this issue. So Freedom Chevrolet in San Antonio knows that there is a problem - not with every vehicle, just some of them. And let's say out of 1,000 vehicles, I purchased the one that had it. I was so very fortunate that they let me swap cars. That would be rare indeed for a dealership to do that for anyone. However, I know that they sold the gray Equinox that I took back to some other poor soul - knowing that it had a problem, so that's not very professional of them. And for them to say they haven't heard of this, I found that so hard to believe once I showed them all the complaints across America for the same issue. Wishing you a good outcome!
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Hello,

I truly apologize that we did not respond to your request sooner, and I am sorry to hear about this vehicle concern! Are you still experiencing the concern? How did your dealership visit go? If you are still in need of further assistance, we would be happy to contact you through e-mail. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by LuckyLindy11
OMG - help me please...I bought a 2014 Equinox last week at Freedom Chevrolet in San Antonio, Texas. I have heard that knocking at the rear of the care about 3 times now. My husband thought I was joking or crazy so very relieved to see other posts regarding that issue. Last night when we were stopped at a light, he heard the knocking and said "We better let that person out of the trunk"! He was just being funny, but then I told him that it was odd, happened sporadically and I was glad that he had heard it. I took the vehicle with me to the dealership and spoke with new car sales manager Charles Pircher who says he's never heard of such a knocking sound. He walks with me over the service dept and asks that manager if he is familiar with anything like that - and that service manager shrugs no as well. Charles then speculates that the bass speaker may be affected by the eco-gas program that is running. This was bogus since I have read the threads posted about this same problem on this forum. Anyway, they told me to bring the car in tomorrow morning (Friday, Jan 7) and they'd take a look. I'm reluctant to take it in because I fear they will try to fix something that isn't really the cause and mess the car up even mores.

I hope you can reply to me at this e-mail address: linda@maclinsolutions.com please. I really, really need help. I hear that the Love It or Return It program ended last Sept..and I'm having serious buyers remorse.

Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end