Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

brakes sticking.

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2018, 9:24 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes sticking.

how do you fix sticking brakes on 2007 equinox
Old February 7th, 2018, 2:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ritz
how do you fix sticking brakes on 2007 equinox
You first need to figure out why they're sticking. Then go from there. Make sure the caliper pins are properly lubricated with high temp brake grease and move freely. Inspect the caliper pin boots for wear or damage.

Another cause is worn brake hoses that collapse and act like a check valve. Pressure forces brake fluid out toward your brake calipers when you push on the pedal, but nothing forces the brake fluid the other way when you let up on the brake pedal.

If those items are OK, then the caliper pistons are probably stuck and you'll need to replace the brake caliper.
Old February 7th, 2018, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

all or just one?
i test drive and then check each wheel to see which one is much hotter than the other.

the pads could also be stuck in the caliper brackets....they must slide....had one today i had to hammer out.
to check the caliper pistons...use a caliper piston tool (they are cheap....don't use a c clamp...it will push anything back even if its seized). if they won't move back, open the bleeder screw....if they move back after opening the bleeder...suspect the flex line....if they still don't move back...replace the caliper.
Old February 8th, 2018, 4:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
all or just one?
i test drive and then check each wheel to see which one is much hotter than the other.

the pads could also be stuck in the caliper brackets....they must slide....had one today i had to hammer out.
to check the caliper pistons...use a caliper piston tool (they are cheap....don't use a c clamp...it will push anything back even if its seized). if they won't move back, open the bleeder screw....if they move back after opening the bleeder...suspect the flex line....if they still don't move back...replace the caliper.
I would also advise the OP to loosen the brake fluid reservoir cap before trying to compress the caliper pistons the first time. If the pistons won't compress, re-tighten the brake fluid cap before loosening the bleeder screw and trying to compress them again.

I always use a C-clamp to compress [regular] caliper pistons, but I don't screw the C-clamp directly into the pistons which is what I think you ultimately wanted the OP to avoid doing - which I completely agree with.

To safely use a C-clamp for the job, I place the old [inner] brake pad between the C-clamp and the caliper piston(s) with the friction material facing the C-clamp and the backing plate facing the caliper. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you intend to reuse the brake pads, but any other flat, hard object that covers both pistons would suffice in lieu of the old brake pad. This practice allows multiple caliper pistons to be compressed simultaneously, and prevents the C-clamp from damaging the caliper piston(s).