Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

CV Axle 2005 Chevy Equinox

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2013, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle 2005 Chevy Equinox

Had a broken CV Axle. Purchased it from Advanced. The ToughOne's are too short. Buyer BEWARE!

Last edited by ChevyEquinox; August 7th, 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Problem resolved.
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

news to me. Haven't seen this ever in the shop I work at.

not really sure how a cv boot slips? Why would you have to touch the band clamp to replace a hub assembly?

What do you mean there is no ABS support? Are you referring to a spot to clip the abs sensor connector?

Last edited by tech2; June 11th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

?...the cv axle fell apart and the vehicle was not driveable??
Old June 13th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Yours seems to be an isolated case for this issue. I've never heard of it before with the Equinox/Torrent.

Is your Equinox AWD or FWD? Which CV axle are you having trouble with? Which boot keeps separating (inner or outer)?

An educated guess is that the front passenger's side CV axle is the one you are having an issue with. I'm thinking that the previous owner replaced it. I suspect that when they did, they installed the wrong axle (too short) and stretched it to make it fit. The original setup used a shorter CV axle and an intermediate shaft at the front passenger side location. There is a replacement axle made by AC Delco (p/n 22718646) that is the correct length which replaces the original setup and allows you to remove the intermediate shaft setup.
Old June 13th, 2013, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, thats what i was trying to get at ruley73....cv separation? Hard to make a suggestion with a vague description.

I'd sell it too...putting the same part without fixing root cause...the 4th "broke axle" is just a matter of time. This is not the car's fault. The symptom not the problem is getting fixed.

Last edited by tech2; June 13th, 2013 at 9:02 PM.
Old January 1st, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Equinox Axle falling off

Any idea why a CV Axle Shaft would keep falling off? A friend installed a new one for my daughter and it keeps falling off. They tried lock sealing the bolt just incase it was coming loose and it still fell off. A friend said it was a C Clip and installed one. Not sure if this is going to fix the issue or not. If a "C-Clip" was needed, why wouldn't one have come with the new axle? Thank you in advance.

Sorry if this is not where I should have posted this but I am new and can't figure out how to start a new post. Thanks.
Old January 1st, 2016, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator

front or rear axle, inner or outer end?
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry about that. It is the front passenger outer end. Thank you.
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Equinox Axle falling off

Hi, i didn't see a response to my question below. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Any idea why a CV Axle Shaft would keep falling off? Front passenger outer end. A friend installed a new one for my daughter and it keeps falling off. They tried lock sealing the bolt just incase it was coming loose and it still fell off. A friend said it was a C Clip and installed one. Not sure if this is going to fix the issue or not. If a "C-Clip" was needed, why wouldn't one have come with the new axle? Thank you in advance.

Sorry if this is not where I should have posted this but I am new and can't figure out how to start a new post. Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cakirk2016
Hi, i didn't see a response to my question below. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Any idea why a CV Axle Shaft would keep falling off? Front passenger outer end. A friend installed a new one for my daughter and it keeps falling off. They tried lock sealing the bolt just incase it was coming loose and it still fell off. A friend said it was a C Clip and installed one. Not sure if this is going to fix the issue or not. If a "C-Clip" was needed, why wouldn't one have come with the new axle? Thank you in advance.

Read my previous post. I'm assuming your Equinox is also AWD. The new axles were probably too short. Remove the intermittent shaft if still installed and use AC Delco p/n 22718646. AFAIK there are no other aftermarket options available.

Last edited by ruley73; April 15th, 2016 at 6:59 PM.

Quick Reply: CV Axle 2005 Chevy Equinox