Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How do I add a cargo-area power port (wiring supply) to 2007 Equinox LS?

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2015, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I add a cargo-area power port (wiring supply) to 2007 Equinox LS?

I'd like to add an accessory power port (cigarette lighter) to the cargo area of my 2007 Equinox LS (which was standard on the LT). There is an empty fuse socket for it under my hood. I can easily (drill and) add an aftermarket flush-mount cigarette lighter port to the trunk compartment. But does anyone if I can tap into some power source in the cargo area?

I'm hoping that the LS & LT have the same wires (or harness) available beneath the cargo area but that wiring (or harness) is only tapped in the LT. I'm hoping that I can tap in and install the missing fuse under the hood.
Old April 26th, 2015, 8:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Not all LT models have the rear power port. There were three LT trim levels though (1LT, 2LT, 3LT). Our Equinox is a 1LT and doesn't have it (also no OnStar & remote start). Perhaps it was included with the more expensive 2LT and/or 3LT trim level.

There are no circuits that run to the rear of the vehicle that you could tap into. More specifically, there are no circuits that remain on at all times and can support a 20A (fuse rating) circuit. These are two features that you would want for the power port.
Old April 27th, 2015, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ruley73.

May I ask how you know that there is no such wiring available beneath the cargo compartment?

The reason I ask is that the fuse box under the hood has an empty 20A fuse slot (#40) for "Rear Accy Power Outlet". Due to the economy-of-scale in manufacturing, I'm just surprised that GM would bother running a different wiring cable to the cargo area for LS/LT1's vs LT2's/LT3's.
Old April 27th, 2015, 9:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I wasn't referring to the (unused) harness for the rear power port. I was referring to the circuits that I know run back there like the tail lights, rear defroster, and rear wiper. I was just trying to emphasize that you won't be able to tap into any of those circuits to use them as your power source.

While I haven't completely removed the rear panels, I have peeled them back a little bit to look for a good grounding point for an amplifier. The only extra harness I saw was a four wire plug on the driver's side for adding trailer lights. This plug is visible if you remove the scissor jack from the compartment and look straight down.