Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Key getting stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2012, 1:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> judyh,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. This issue may be caused by a lack of lubrication of the ignition lock cylinder and case. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 16th, 2012, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Equinox

This is my first Chevy purchase. I am a Ford girl, but I bought this from a division of RK Chevrolet, and I'm going crazy with this ignition issue. I took it in to RK, who replaced the ignition switch to the tune of $300, not covered under extended warantee. However, I'm STILL having the same problem. Evidently Chevrolet isn't taking ANY responsibility for this issue. When I googled, I couldn't believe how many customers are having this problem, and no help in sight from Chevy.
This will be my first and last purchase from Chevrolet.
Old July 17th, 2012, 9:05 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by LSchmitz
This is my first Chevy purchase. I am a Ford girl, but I bought this from a division of RK Chevrolet, and I'm going crazy with this ignition issue. I took it in to RK, who replaced the ignition switch to the tune of $300, not covered under extended warantee. However, I'm STILL having the same problem. Evidently Chevrolet isn't taking ANY responsibility for this issue. When I googled, I couldn't believe how many customers are having this problem, and no help in sight from Chevy.
This will be my first and last purchase from Chevrolet.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your ignition. Would you please describe the problem you are having?

You stated that you had the ignition switch replaced, when was this repair performed? Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this further?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 4th, 2013, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stuck key

I have this problem currently. I have had it back to the dealership 3 times now with the last time I picked it up being 4/1/13 and it still isnt fixed. The last time it was there they called a locksmith to have him come in to fix it. I do no belive that it has anything to do with the key or ignition. If I let is sitin park with the key in the accessory position after about 2 minutes it will release. I do not like it being like this. I take it back again tomorrow and they are going to try replacing the sensor on the brake and shifter and another sensor with the shifter. The bad thing about this is that I bough the car on 2/11/13 and it has been in the shop more than I have had it
Old April 4th, 2013, 7:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Sunshyne
I have this problem currently. I have had it back to the dealership 3 times now with the last time I picked it up being 4/1/13 and it still isnt fixed. The last time it was there they called a locksmith to have him come in to fix it. I do no belive that it has anything to do with the key or ignition. If I let is sitin park with the key in the accessory position after about 2 minutes it will release. I do not like it being like this. I take it back again tomorrow and they are going to try replacing the sensor on the brake and shifter and another sensor with the shifter. The bad thing about this is that I bough the car on 2/11/13 and it has been in the shop more than I have had it
Hello,

I read over your concerns with your vehicle, and I understand your frustration. I would like to help you through this issue, but first I would need to retrieve some more information from you. Would you mind messaging me your full name, VIN and mileage, and I will look deeper into your concern and see what options are available to you.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

I had my ingnition cyclinder replaced once. Key was getting stuck. I think it is pretty common on the Equinox.
Old April 10th, 2013, 5:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another common issue, besides the one
already addressed, is the half-kilo of other
keys, flashlights, fobs, and assorted stuff
on the average keychain. The weight,
over time, swinging from your ignition
key, causes the lock cylinder to fail, and
gradually become less and less functional.

It's best to have a separate ignition key,
without a heavy "housekeys pendulum".
Old April 10th, 2013, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Another common issue, besides the one
already addressed, is the half-kilo of other
keys, flashlights, fobs, and assorted stuff
on the average keychain. The weight,
over time, swinging from your ignition
key, causes the lock cylinder to fail, and
gradually become less and less functional.

It's best to have a separate ignition key,
without a heavy "housekeys pendulum".
This is always overlooked by people. I try to keep the weight down on my key chains. The wife on the other hand...well lets just say I could bulk up carrying hers.
Old April 10th, 2013, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Rachel Moon
2007 Equinox
milage is 95,596
VIN 2CNDL63F076235118
I got a call yesterday saying that they had tested the modules and that there are 2 documented cases through Chevrolet that it is the shifter that is bad. I hope that this is the fix cause I would really like to have my car back. The already replaced the cylinder on it and that didnt fix it
Old April 10th, 2013, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key getting stuck?

The problem is the shift sensor. I had mine replaced and no more problems.

Quick Reply: Key getting stuck in ignition?