Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Equinox
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Sponsored by: BF Goodrich
Advertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Temp Gauge Not Working 07 Nox

The temp gauge on our Equinox does not register correct all of the time. Dealer says we have to replace the cluster at 700+. I was wondering if there was anywhere to get one re-built or buy a repaired one?

Thanks
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer

You may want to look at www.gmpartsdirect.com. You should be able to find this part on the website. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 AM
CF Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSkeeter View Post
The temp gauge on our Equinox does not register correct all of the time. Dealer says we have to replace the cluster at 700+. I was wondering if there was anywhere to get one re-built or buy a repaired one?

Thanks
I doubt it is the cluster.

Unless they have ruled out a bad Coolant temp sensor and confirmed the cooling system is in good working order I'd be skeptical. Clusters very rarely fail.

Please elaborate on "does not register correct all of the time". Where does the temp needle usually sit? The 3/8 mark is the normal operating temp. Does the needle sit at at or below the lowest mark when you first start the engine after it's been sitting overnight? If not, I'd replace the coolant temp sensor. This should cause a troublecode/check engine indicator if this is the case.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Some times it reads correct other times its peg all the way up and others all the way down. Does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. And there is no set pattern to it.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
CF Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSkeeter View Post
Some times it reads correct other times its peg all the way up and others all the way down. Does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. And there is no set pattern to it.
See my previous post. I would definitely try replacing the coolant temp sensor before replacing the cluster. An OEM coolant temp sensor for your car is GM p/n 12608814 and runs about $30 from your local stealership. You can also use Wells p/n SU112 which runs about $22 from your local AutoZone, but you will need the part number as the parts guy will not be able to look it up. However, that OEM p/n 12608814 does cross reference to SU112 so it is correct.

This part should take less then 10 minutes to replace, and it is it cheap enough that it is worth a shot.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Beginner
2007 Chevrolet Equinox

I just ran into the same problem with my 07, what was the final fix? New gauge or sensor? Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 AM
CF Junior Member

well, i just made a post on a failing fuel guage in my 07 nox. with teh price you quited for the cluster my jaw dropped that they would suggest such a thing. i doubt its the cluster as well. i would suspect the connection as much as i would suspect a sensor. Im almost leaning on a connection myself. if you find the connectors in teh line, you would want to pull them loose, clean them with a micro flat ended file and a small wire brush, and reseat them a couple times making sure they click shut at the last connection.

This is what i will probably have to do for the fuel guage. But i do wonder if its just the sensor, and i assume thats in the tank.

anyway good luck.

would have been nice if you reported back with your final fix, as previous poster mentioned. Keep in mind, these forums are only as good as the posted solutions. :-O
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced the sensor and still have the problem. Have not yet pulled the cluster to be repaired. I don't think it could be anything else.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
CF Junior Member

ooh thats bad news for points against the cluster.

i learned in electronic engineering there is a (fill in some large percentage) chance the short is due to the connection medium. I think its 90%. This means check all connections first.

If you ever catch it off, i would measure the voltage or restance of wherever you can stick a dmm(multi meter) probe into. then go from there forward(towards the cluster) if you get normal values, or from there backward(towards the tank) if you get bad values. .

I haven't found the time for it yet, and my wife hasn't mentioned it still doing it. We have been driving the more economical car lately due to long commutes.

Last edited by wolfdogg; 03-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 PM
CF Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
ooh thats bad news for points against the cluster.

i learned in electronic engineering there is a (fill in some large percentage) chance the short is due to the connection medium. I think its 90%. This means check all connections first.

If you ever catch it off, i would measure the voltage or restance of wherever you can stick a dmm(multi meter) probe into. then go from there forward(towards the cluster) if you get normal values, or from there backward(towards the tank) if you get bad values. .

I haven't found the time for it yet, and my wife hasn't mentioned it still doing it. We have been driving the more economical car lately due to long commutes.
If the temp sensor was wired directly to the gauge, this wouldn't be a bad idea. However, all data that is displayed on the cluster is transmitted digitally.

I would definitely check any connections/plugs that you can.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Tags
2007, bad, chevy, coolant, equinox, fuse, gauge, normal, properly, register, sensor, sensors, suv, temp, temperature, working