Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

01 chevy express fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 chevy express fuel gauge

hey whats up guys i need some help. i bought a used 01 express 3500 with a 5.7. my problem is the fuel guage is shaking like a humming bird and sometimes bounces a little and does not read right. what i did to check is i pulled the fuel pump and tested the sending unit by checking the resistance while moving the float up and down and the resistance goes from like 39 to 240 im guessing the sending unit is good. now i think the stepper motor is bad in my cluster but i cant seem to find one online for a 01 chevy express 3500. any help would be great. also if i go to a junk yard do other stepper motors from another cluster work?
Old August 31st, 2016, 5:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Before changing anything, check all the wiring and make sure that the fuel tank has a good ground. Most often it is the sending unit that is bad.
Old August 31st, 2016, 9:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny Hernandez
hey whats up guys i need some help. i bought a used 01 express 3500 with a 5.7. my problem is the fuel guage is shaking like a humming bird and sometimes bounces a little and does not read right. what i did to check is i pulled the fuel pump and tested the sending unit by checking the resistance while moving the float up and down and the resistance goes from like 39 to 240 im guessing the sending unit is good. now i think the stepper motor is bad in my cluster but i cant seem to find one online for a 01 chevy express 3500. any help would be great. also if i go to a junk yard do other stepper motors from another cluster work?
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and can offer assistance on the cluster and gauge issues. We have a diagnostics service that you can use to send in the cluster to us. Any additional costs would depend on what is wrong with the cluster. Here is the link to learn more and please feel free to call us today with any questions!

Gauge Cluster, Speedometer, Lexus SC300 SC400 ECU Diagnosis Repair Service

Mention that you talked with us on the forum too. We will take great care of you and offer fast turn around times too!

Thanks,
Old September 2nd, 2016, 3:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My van also does this intermittently and I have yet to pinpoint the cause.

USUALLY - it's ok but know exactly what you mean & so far I cannot pin down any specific conditions that bring it about. My guess is that it is in the harness and not the sender or gauge itself. (Sending stepper motors are HARD to find for these! You'll have to buy a whole used cluster or send it in to be repaired. Later (2003 & up) clusters use a 'universal' stepper motor.)