Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1988 chevy van "20" engine removal

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 chevy van "20" engine removal

The 350 motor in my 1988 Chevy van "20" just blew. I purchased a low mileage Chevy 350 to install in place of the old one. The problem is, I've had a mechanic tell me that in order to install the motor in this year van, I have to lift the body of the van off the frame to get the old motor out. I've swapped motors on a couple dodge vans and I just removed the grill and core support to do this. Is what this guy says true? Does anybody else have experience with this year van? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old October 7th, 2023, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burgiedanny
The 350 motor in my 1988 Chevy van "20" just blew. I purchased a low mileage Chevy 350 to install in place of the old one. The problem is, I've had a mechanic tell me that in order to install the motor in this year van, I have to lift the body of the van off the frame to get the old motor out. I've swapped motors on a couple dodge vans and I just removed the grill and core support to do this. Is what this guy says true? Does anybody else have experience with this year van? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
you can take it out both ways mentioned
Old November 7th, 2023, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '78 Chevy van with a 305 that I pulled it out through the side door. That thing ran great with the new long block. Unfortunately, I sold it many years ago. It had the **** carpet all over, fold down couches that made a huge bed and a good stereo. I was in my early 20's and that van was the party wagon.