Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 Chevy G20 radio and horn issue

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2012, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Chevy G20 radio and horn issue

Hey Guys,
This is my first post to the forum and I want to thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

I have a 1992 Chevy G20 van and have had it little over a year. It's got 155k miles on it and the mechanic I had look at it said it was good to go. He said that it's got a tranny from a newer van in it (not brand new). He did an oil change and flushed out the radiator. I drove it from North Caroline to Southern California without any major issues. He did charge the A/C, but it did not last long (luckily the drive was in may and the weather was fairly nice).

I'm working on getting it registered in the state of California. Anybody have any issues getting these things smogged? It should be an interesting en devour.

Anyways, just recently the radio and horn have stopped working. My guess it's a fuse or relay, but I cannot find anything blown. Does anybody have the layout for the fuse box so I can find this fuse? Or know what relay controls them? I'm not a car guy by any stretch, but can follow directions fairly well!

Again, thanks for the help!
Old June 17th, 2012, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

got to autozone and register there, its free. they have alot of free service manuals and I am pretty sure they have a relay schematic for a g20, good luck.
Old August 8th, 2012, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Wondering if you found a solution to your problem?

Are there fuses/breakers placed somewhere else besides the fuse block under the dash above the driver's left foot?

I have a 1994 G20 conversion van. I also have a few things not working all of a sudden. And I also can not find any fuses blown. I haven't checked every single circuit, but what I have found so far is...

Not working:

interior lights
radio
the aftermarket CD changer
horn

Still working:

HVAC blower
wipers
Hazard lights
power locks
power windows
power seat

As an aside...a couple days ago, my battery went dead...I recharged it, started up, and THEN found the above circuits not working...but this could just be a coincidence.

Also, my G20 has a "battery saver" gizmo under the hood near the battery...all kinds of wires going in/out...just might be part of the problem...it's supposed to cut power from the battery when the battery voltage drops below X. However, it doesn't work, as like I said, my battery was dead (and died a couple times in the past as well).

Thanks...
Old August 9th, 2012, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

More complete list of what is not working...all of these things stopped working simultaneously, (again, this is a Tiara conversion van):

Brake lights (all parking lights, reverse lights, turn signals, and the head lights, work)
Cig lighter plug
Radio
Sun visor vanity lights
Horn

And again, ALL fuses are A-OK.

Of course it seems like everything that is NOT working is on one circuit of some kind.

I see vague mentions of this same kind of problem around the internet, with various models of GM cars...but no answers.

This must be some kind of known issue.