Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1997 5.7L spider Injection

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2014, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 5.7L spider Injection

I have been hearing that these have been notorious for having issues. Recently put in a cloyes true roller (one row) timing chain. Ran fine for a while but the it threw DTC P0301 with the CEL flashing. We took it apart again thinking the crank & cam gears we're misaligned. They were not. I recently read where the spider injection CAN have issues where just one injector can get faulty causing this condition. I found a spider module from a 1999 van but notice from different years that they're different. In the sense that the earlier ones don't have wires running along the tube, whereas the later model does. Can I use the later model system and Is it an updated version of the older system? Need to know. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2014, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

The one with the wires going to each injector is just the new design, make sure the plug on top of the engine plugs into it, if so it will work fine.
Old November 19th, 2014, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ecm

I am wondering if the ECM is at fault here. Which color plug to the ECM controls the injectors? I might have put it in there with the battery still connected and this might be the cause....not sure. Put another ECM in it and it's still not spraying from #1 injector.