Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Express ABS

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2009, 4:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Express ABS

I need some help with this one! The brakes on my van seem like the ABS is coming on when I make a normal stop and at the last instant the brakes stop working and I have to realey stomp on it to make it stop. When I make a panic type stop the brakes work like there is no ABS?. Any I deas?
Old October 8th, 2009, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried bleeding the brakes?
Old October 9th, 2009, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

No I didn't try bleeding the brakes because the pedal is hard at the begining of application of the brakes. If there was air in the lines the pedal would be soft until I pumped it up but that isn't the case. Also, the lines havn't been opened for any air to get in, so I see no reason to bleed the brakes. Any other Ideas?
Old October 9th, 2009, 1:45 PM
Professional Mechanic

Do you have an ABS light on the dash or any lights for that matter?
Is the brake fluid resivor full? Could be contanimated brake fluid... does it look pretty clean?
You don't necessarly need to open the brake system to introduce air you could just run the brakes too low and suck the resivor dry pulling air into the line (unlikely but it could happen)
How many miles on the truck? Which model 2500 or 3500?
Automatic?... possible torque converter issue?
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

It's a 1500 passenger van with an automatic, 5.3 engine and 56,000 miles. I use it about 85% for towing but both of my trailers have brakes on both axles. The resrvoir is full and I never let it get low. The pads and rear rotors were replaced at 30,00 miles. The rotors were realey rusted but the replacements are not rusting at all. The ABS light came on twice in the past two weeks. Once while towing and once when not towing. I hope this information can help make a better diagnosis, I still have to drive it, and thanks for your time DOGG.
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by Poppop
It's a 1500 passenger van with an automatic, 5.3 engine and 56,000 miles. I use it about 85% for towing but both of my trailers have brakes on both axles. The resrvoir is full and I never let it get low. The pads and rear rotors were replaced at 30,00 miles. The rotors were realey rusted but the replacements are not rusting at all. The ABS light came on twice in the past two weeks. Once while towing and once when not towing. I hope this information can help make a better diagnosis, I still have to drive it, and thanks for your time DOGG.
If the ABS light has been on you might be able to pull a code. Do you have a diagnostics computer? If not I know auto zone checks codes just don't know if they have the ability to check ABS codes or not.
Sounds like it could be a short in the sensor.
Does the ABS light come on when you are experiencing the braking issue? Does it usually happen when it's wet out?
I'm thinking try to find a code and if you can't pull one then try to diagnose further.
Old October 27th, 2009, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

I had that problem on my 03 1500 AWD Express. I took it to the dealer because it was still under warranty at the time, 21,516 miles, and they replace the ABS sensor to correct the problem.
Old October 28th, 2009, 5:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how to find the defective sensor
Old October 28th, 2009, 1:31 PM
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by Poppop
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how to find the defective sensor

Yes... Hook the vehicle up to a diagnostics computer and it will tell you which sensor is the problem. Is there an ABS light on, on the dash?
Old October 29th, 2009, 4:47 AM
CF Beginner

I did a little more reading since you got me pointed in the direction of the sensors and am going to check them for rust and dirt. There could very well be a rust issue since I don't drive it very often and some times it sits on the lawn for a couple days at a time. As soon as I can get the garage empty I'll get it done and let you know the results. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to pay somebody to hook it up to a diagnostic computer.

Quick Reply: 2003 Express ABS