Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express 5.7 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Express 5.7 Overheating

I'm working on a 2001 Express van with a 5.7L engine. If you take the thermostat out the water flow in the radiator is good (new pump intalled), but it won't get any warmer than 160 degrees. When I put the (195 degree) thermostat in the temperature goes to 230+ degrees and there is no water flow in the radiator. Has any one else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Old December 12th, 2012, 9:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PStan
I'm working on a 2001 Express van with a 5.7L engine. If you take the thermostat out the water flow in the radiator is good (new pump intalled), but it won't get any warmer than 160 degrees. When I put the (195 degree) thermostat in the temperature goes to 230+ degrees and there is no water flow in the radiator. Has any one else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Sounds to me like you have a bad thermostat. Or it is in backwards.
Old December 30th, 2012, 1:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you confirming there is no water flow in the rad? If you have the cap on , and are feeling the upper hose, you might have air in the system. You have to leave the rad cap off, and wait till you have hot air blowing from the heater inside.....that means the thermostat is open, and the engine is warm....any air should be out now, and you can top up the rad a bit and put on the rad cap.....
You also mas as Kev said have a bad thermostat.....they are cheap....get a new one.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, sorry I haven't responded before now but I've learned not to trust "new" parts...as it turned out, the new temperature sensor I had purchase was faulty; became real evident when I used a laser thermometer to read the block next to the sensor. Thanks for your responses.

Now I'm having a new issue. I'm getting a code reading that there is an issue between the crank sensor and cam sensor correlation. I replaced the distributor when I put the engine in last year and this code would come and go, now it stays constant. I have replaced the crank sensor in the last few weeks and with the help of a friend we set the dwell on the distributor, but to no avail...the code has remained.

Is there any way to test the cam sensor or crank sensor to make sure they are actually working?

Is there some way to align the two?