Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express Conversion - rear air

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2016, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Express Conversion - rear air

I just purchased a used 2003 Chevrolet Express Santa Fe conversion van. There are vents in the back on the roof (one above each captain chair in the middle and two above the bench in the back) but no air comes out of them unless I turn on the auxiliary switch
But it only blows hot air and works according to the manual. Should this van have air (A/C or other)? If so, how do I turn it on?
Old September 8th, 2016, 3:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 96 Chevy Express conversion van with a similar setup for rear ventilation. Mine will blow both hot and cold air, which is controlled by the selector switches (for AC and hot/cold) on the instrument panel/console. There should be a rear heating and AC unit in the rear left corner of the van.

Peter
Old September 8th, 2016, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MiragePilot
Mine will blow both hot and cold air, which is controlled by the selector switches (for AC and hot/cold) on the instrument panel/console. There should be a rear heating and AC unit in the rear left corner of the van.

Peter
I don't see anything on the instrument panel. Do I not have air in the rear?

I also don't see any controls in the rear.
Old September 8th, 2016, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://ebayapi.loc8apartltd.netdna-cdn.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/41gAAOSwX~dWrsbA/$_1.JPG

You don't have one of these above the rear view mirror?
Old September 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine looks like this one.....

https://api.drivingforce.ca/Images/U...ger-149277.JPG
Old September 8th, 2016, 11:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Kevin, the AC and temp control in your pic also controls the rear unit, assuming you have one.
Old September 9th, 2016, 5:09 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have controls like that. Must be I don't have it in back. I'll call Chevy and have them run the VIN. Hopefully they check. It wouldn't have been added during the conversion process, would it?
Old September 9th, 2016, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Kevin, you are confusing me! ?? Is the picture you posted, showing the AC, fan speed and temp control dials, with the wood trim around them, not from your van??? If it is, then the AC and temp dials control BOTH the front and rear units. The pic you posted of the dedicated fan/blower speed control for the rear unit is what controls the rear blower motor.
The vans that have the rear AC/heater units have a single AC compressor on the engine that pumps the refrigerant to dual evaporators, one in the front and one in the rear. Similarly for the heat, the hot water is pumped to dual heat exchangers, one in the front and one in the rear. So when you activate the AC and/or temp dials in the front, the system responds in the same what to both the front and rear heat exchanger units.

I hope that makes sense...?
Old September 9th, 2016, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MiragePilot
Kevin, you are confusing me! ?? Is the picture you posted, showing the AC, fan speed and temp control dials, with the wood trim around them, not from your van??? If it is, then the AC and temp dials control BOTH the front and rear units. The pic you posted of the dedicated fan/blower speed control for the rear unit is what controls the rear blower motor.
The vans that have the rear AC/heater units have a single AC compressor on the engine that pumps the refrigerant to dual evaporators, one in the front and one in the rear. Similarly for the heat, the hot water is pumped to dual heat exchangers, one in the front and one in the rear. So when you activate the AC and/or temp dials in the front, the system responds in the same what to both the front and rear heat exchanger units.

I hope that makes sense...?
Yes, the picture is from my van. Where would the air blow out in the rear? The only time air blows out the vents on the roof if when I have the first dial (shown in my first post) switched on and then it blows hot air (not just warm but hot). I'm beginning to think that I may not have rear air... I asked Chevy and they weren't much help either.
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Kevin,

Looking at my FSM for the 96 Express van, there were several AC/heat options available:
1) Rear aux heat only,
2) Front base heat,
3) Front heat & AC,
4) Rear aux AC & heat,
5) 1+2 Front & Rear heat,
6) 1+3 Front heat & AC + Rear heat, and
7) 3+4 Front and Rear AC & heat.

It sounds like your van is equipped with option 6).

Peter.