Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 Express 3500 - Should I get It?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2015, 12:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsbrewers
I took my bumpers off, spent $20 to have it sand blasted, then painted some rusty metal rustoleum primer on it. After that I sprayed some herculiner on and it has been fine for about 2 years now. I figured cheaper than a new black steel one and it will probably look better longer too.

Brew
Cool, sounds like a lot of work though. Mine has a big dent in the front bumper, reason I want to replace it, otherwise it doesn't have any rust on it.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
i like my paper manuals. I don't want my greasy hands on my computer.....lol
Haynes repair manual is only 25 bucks.
As for the bumper, I have never sourced one so not sure.
I hear people complain about the haynes service manual because it's more for the older late 90's express vans? I like .pdf format because I can print my jobs out and then throw away the printout when I'm done rather than greasing up a pages in a book.
Old May 7th, 2015, 6:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by street
Cool, sounds like a lot of work though. Mine has a big dent in the front bumper, reason I want to replace it, otherwise it doesn't have any rust on it.
see if you have a certifit close. A regular one is about $110 and a chrome is about $135
Old May 7th, 2015, 9:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try a junk yard for the bumper. Some have a network that ships between each other. Of course if one is not available local, shipping will add to the cost.
Old May 7th, 2015, 9:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was gonna suggest that, but the front bumper is likely that last thing you will find at a wrecker.....lol. You might get lucky though....
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!
Old May 7th, 2015, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I got my van back from the local mechanic and the check engine light came on. So I had to take the van back to him. I wish I would have just had the dealership do the work. I paid $875 to change 2 transmission cooler lines, replaced two rear brake calipers, axle seal, 2 bulbs, synthetic oil change, transmission service, coolant flush and brake flush.

Mechanic's receipt:
Parts:
2x bulbs = $4
Axle Seal = $48.95
Rear Caliper =$109.95
Rea Caliper = $109.95
Transmission Line = $43.87
Transmission line = $39.40
Work:
Synthetic Oil change=$14.95
Transmission Service = $129.55
Coolant Flush/fill=$59.55
Brake fluid change = no price listed

Total labor = $200
Total Parts=$356.22

Total = $811.07
Tax = $64.89

Total = $875.96 I just got reamed! I wish I would have had the dealer do the work, was only charging $600 for the work they said was needed, (Dealer did not say I needed calipers).

On top of that I had to take it back because the check engine light came on. How in the heck could he have caused the check engine light ti on?
I'm so pissed off I'm seeing red right. I just got robbed!

I went to certifit to get that front bumper but it's premiered and not painted, have to take the bumper down to a body shop to paint the bumper black before putting it on. Hopefully that won't cost too much.

Last edited by street; May 8th, 2015 at 1:47 AM.
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The parts price for the calipers and the rear axle seals is horsecrap. The 60 bucks for accesories.....? really. And I would have refused to pay 200 bucks for oil and grease. WTF???

Its too bad when this sort of thing happens.
Old May 8th, 2015, 1:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
The parts price for the calipers and the rear axle seals is horsecrap. The 60 bucks for accesories.....? really. And I would have refused to pay 200 bucks for oil and grease. WTF???

Its too bad when this sort of thing happens.
It was a pre-printed invoice sheet, the "gas oil and grease" section was just a carry-over total from the listed services. I just realized that. lol I added up it and the grease and oil was NOT extra but a total of the two services.

It was a rip-off but the dealer would have ripped me off just as bad, BUT the dealer would not have caused the "check engine" light to come on and flash. I was so pissed after seeing the bill and the check engine light coming on. I need to find a good mechanic. I'd work on the van myself but I don't have the time try and figure things out at this time.

Btw, I ended up buying that bumper at the place that your guys recommended for $110 but it was not painted black but rather primered. Should I just spray paint it rusteolium black spray paint and some clear coat? Or should I have a body shop paint the bumper?
Old May 8th, 2015, 1:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Update: When I picked up the van from the mechanic I drove it about 20 miles and the check engine light came on. I took the van back to the mechanic to check the van to see why the check engine light came on.

I just got a call from the mechanic and he says the check engine light has 2 error codes. He said they did nothing to cause the check engine light to come on. I told him the day before I had fully checked at the chevy dealership and they said the engine gave no codes and said the van ran well on the highway. The next day I took it to you to fix the transmission lines and after it was fixed I drive less than 20 miles from the shop's parking lot and now it has check engine light on.

The mechanic said they will check it some more.

If the mechanic doesn't fix the problem, I will take him to small claims court for the cost to fix the problem plus court costs. I'll take it to the chevy dealership to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: 2004 Express 3500 - Should I get It?