Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2006 Express 3500 Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Express 3500 Brake Questions

Hi guys,

NOTE: I did use the search function, and looked through what threads I could find on brakes.

Issue: I have a friend who tells me that when braking on the highway, his 3500 van shudders pretty bad. He and I are guessing it has warped rotors.

Questions:
  1. What other vans/trucks have similar brakes, so I can search a wider range of threads/videos?
  2. I saw the front rotors are known to warp - Are these usually machined, or just replaced? They don't seem to be too expensive (floating)
  3. Anything else I should be "ready to replace" when I get in there?
  4. Do I need a bigger jack? I have a couple of normal floor jacks. I am more worried about the height than I am about the weight.

I am a "semi-experienced" DIY mechanic, doing alot of work on Volvo 240s and various other cars, so I think I have all of the tools I will need (anything special I should get?).

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Michael
Old November 4th, 2012, 5:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up an '06 and it needed brake work. What my problem was the the pins for the floating calipers were really corroded and frozen up. My truck didn't shudder at all, just pulled really hard to one side when I applied the brakes. The brakes are pretty straight forward on these.