Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

5.7L intake R&R - how big a p.i.t.a.?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2013, 6:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 5.7L intake R&R - how big a p.i.t.a.?

Well, engine #3 (yes - third f'n engine...) has developed the expected intake gasket coolant leak. First engine did this & set me back about $800 to have done. If this were a truck w/ open access I'd go for it no sweat but hesitate because everything is so jammed up under the doghouse. I'm wondering if it's worth the aggravation to do it at home.

Has anyone replaced their intake gasket on an Express 5.7L? Is it as big a pain in the rear as it appears?

With all the 5.7's that have had this happen has anyone ever successfully busted a GM dealer's chops hard enough to get this covered? I know the gaskets were redesigned (twice, I think) but I can't find any info on a recall for this. Did GM ever acknowledge this as a real-world problem and was there a recall?

Thanks
Old May 1st, 2013, 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Search isn't working or I'd post up on a thread I remember with someone else who also had the infamous 5.7L intake gasket leak.

Got a couple of quotes to fix the leaking intake gasket - first was $900 and second was $585. Needless to say shop #2 won that one especially given that they had a reputation for quality work for other folk I know. They did the work over a weekend & had me back on the road in 2 days. Hats off to Modern Automotive in Christiansburg, Va.

What I wanted to post as a follow up for the other thread was that the reason for these repeated gasket failures... about every 100k miles isn't some new crappy gasket material. What did they change on the 350 when they stopped calling it that & turned it into the vortec 5.7L?
The intake itself - from metal to plastic.

It's no longer made of metal which also served as a heat sink and "radiator". It occurred to me that the darn gaskets were originally designed for the old intakes & that repeated redesigns still don't solve the problem of excess heat no longer being absorbed & radiated away through the old intakes. The gaskets are just getting cooked, mainly at the rear or front.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to make sense.
Old May 15th, 2013, 4:03 PM
CF Active Member

Angry Intake leak: Part Deux

Well this is fan-freakin-tastic.

Intake leak fixed but enough water must have gotten into the engine to cook the bearings. Two weeks after the intake was fixed and now it's going tap-tap-tap when you fire it up with oil pressure lagging a second or so during same period.

Will I go for engine #4? Not likely.

Will I buy another Chevrolet? Not effin-ever.
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe just needs a new oil pump. If not, I would maybe try high mileage oil. It has increased the oil pressure in my 02....
Sorry about the trouble you have had. That sucks.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Active Member

$1746 for new crank, bearings, timing chain, oil pump, etc, etc. Total bottom end rebuild on engine #3.

Last edited by lunghd; June 1st, 2013 at 6:32 PM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having ran Ford E350's the GMC Savana I have now is an absolute piece of crap in comparison. I'll never touch a GM truck again as long as I live. Though it was a good deal only had 57k mile when I got it. It breaks down every other month get one thing fixed and something else. I'v done the water pump 3 time. The intake manifold gaskets. Replaced the entire fuel system Done the fuel pump 2 times Radiator tuned it up brakes. Al in less the 25k mile it only has 80k on it now.
Having done the intake manifold gaskets myself I can say I wouldnt do it again. I'd pay someone to do it. Its a bear of a job..
If you want reliable get a Ford Van. There is NO comparison. They are so much better its comical..
Old May 23rd, 2015, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

It's an ancient post but it's mine... and this needs saying.

My son's Inherited 4.3L just spun it's bearings after having the exact same intake gasket issue as my 5.7L.

I will never own another GM product. Ever. If you are looking at a GM vehicle - RUN. Don't walk - RUN in any direction just RUN. (At least you can count on your feet... which you'll need if you buy GM - it's a long walk to the bus stop.)