Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'93 G20 Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 G20 Starting Issue

Hello All,
5.0, 135xxx. This van is my utility truck for hauling home improvement items, music gear and anything else that won't fit in the car. It is rarely used and has always started within seconds of turning the key. The other day i ran some errands and when I tried to restart, all it did was crank. I finally got it to run for a second or two after pumping the pedal, but it wouldn't sustain. Suspecting fuel pump, I towed it home and let it sit for a couple days until I could get to it. When I went out and hit the key it started instantly. Not knowing what to make of that, I shut it down and went back in the house. A couple days after that I tried it again and got nothing but crank. This morning it started, but was running rougher than normal. I can see that the carb is getting gas. Suspecting spark, although I was getting spark prior, I replaced the cap and rotor, as they were crusty. It is still start/no start..... start/no start. Actually, more no start than start. Any ideas on this? Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2013, 1:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Carb kit.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That 93 has TBi injection right? You could try some injection cleaner, or swap the two injectors.....
If you had crusty cap and rotor, what are your plugs like. Worn plugs that have too wide a gap make for hard cold starting.
Your fuel pump should run a few seconds to prime the system when you first turn the key to on. Listen for that. If you don't hear it running, then its seized. But i doubt that the fuel pump is randomly seizing and then not seizing.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
That 93 has TBi injection right? You could try some injection cleaner, or swap the two injectors.....
If you had crusty cap and rotor, what are your plugs like. Worn plugs that have too wide a gap make for hard cold starting.
Your fuel pump should run a few seconds to prime the system when you first turn the key to on. Listen for that. If you don't hear it running, then its seized. But i doubt that the fuel pump is randomly seizing and then not seizing.
Yes, TBI injected. I've got the carb exposed and can see gas squirting from both injectors while cranking the engine. I can also hear the fuel pump prime for about 5 seconds and then shut off. The truck did start yesterday, and ran for a bit, but very rich; heavy exhaust. Plugs and wires came to my mind as well.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound more like fuel mixture. That leads me to think emission controls.
Check your pcv valve and the airflow sensors and think about getting a scanner to look for codes. You may have a bad 02 sensor or something.
Its getting hard to figure without a scan.