Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

99 Express braking problem

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Express braking problem

I am totally baffled? I have a 99 Chevy 3500 that has pulled to the left while braking. I have replaced-
-the rotors
-calipers and pads
-brake lines
-front wheel bearings
-tires
-lower control arms
-shocks and coil springs
I have also-
-Bled the lines/twice
-lub'ed the pins for the calipers
-had a alignment done
I am beside myself as to what to do next? I use this truck everyday for my contracting business.
Some other pertinent info?
-it's a dually/ carries approx 5,000-8,000 lbs of tools daily
- one of my employees did have an accident in 2004. It was hit on the drivers side front wheel(folded the tire at about 45 degree angle under the van) and it was fixed? bent frame?
I haven't looked at the steering components yet?

I need help. I hate things that don't work right
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess would be the front not tracking true to the rear because of the accident. You might want to get a four wheel alignemnt at a frame shop to confirm.
Old March 17th, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine pulled to the right while braking it was the alignment. Might be worth having the alignment checked again. You probably already did this but check tire psi...
Old April 13th, 2013, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Well, After having talked with many local mechanics, I think we have narrowed the problem. I didn't realize that the brake pedal is pretty "squishy" and the brake fluid was low. When you drive the same truck, every day, you just get used to all the problems. The only things we haven't really looked at again, are the rear brake cylinders. Of course, you eliminate all the easy fixes, and it happens to be the hardest thing to get to? Go figure? I'll update you on what I find. thanks for your input.
Old November 16th, 2013, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

I know this is quite late, but after taking it in to have the brakes done, in Sept, They found that the rear seal on the axle was letting fluid into the brake drum.( It's a dually and it requires taking the axles out to get at the brake drums). I love the cut away box van but man, is this thing hard on the wallet!
Old November 16th, 2013, 2:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The axle shafts have to be pulled to replace the rear seals on any type of rear drive. You are referring to your full float axle just to get the drums off. I don't think that should cost more for the seal replacement, unless the shop is screwing you.
My rear lest seal is leaking a bit, and when it makes the rear drum grab, it only last till the end of the street then its burnt off and no more pull. I doubt that it would cause a pull to one side all the time.
Old November 20th, 2013, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

I went to Rock Auto and purchased a proportioning(brake) valve, thinking that this would solve my pulling issue, I couldn't find where the valve(if it even has one)is? I had the brakes worked on and an alignment done but still no solution. Maybe get a second opinion?
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if these trucks have the proportioning valves either. Typically that adds more breaking power to the rear as the vehicle gets loaded more.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 6:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did anyone check for a restricted flex line?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced the flex hoses going to the front brakes, but to no avail. This thing is loaded 3000lbs more than it is "suppose" to carry. Would the distribution of the load have anything to do with how the brakes react?

Quick Reply: 99 Express braking problem