Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding Electrical Accessories

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2013, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding Electrical Accessories

2008 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo Van. Looking for information on adding things to the van. Current projects, Back Up Light Kit, and Back Up Camera Kit. Looking for the best way to access the battery and also switched power (on only when engine running). I am thinking to access power at the fuse box under the seat and piggy back a wire on the line from the battery. Not sure yet. I have found videos and instructions to remove headliner and front panels around the engine.

Goal is to keep the wiring hidden and not just draped wherever it lands or whatever.

Also considering a novel or unique placing of the back up lights instead of just at the back bumper.

Anyone have a drawing of the fuse block ? I already have the fuse diagram that shows what fuse does what. I do not have a diagram/illustration of the actual wires connected to it.

Goal is to connect to the battery without actually disconnecting power to the van. Perhaps a post with a wire on it with room on the screw to add a wire and another nut on top.

Too cold right now to investigate, no garage to work in.
Old December 25th, 2013, 9:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search "battery bolt extender" at your preferred auto parts supplier.
Old December 25th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did same mod yesterday except whole unit is directly hocked up to the battery and in-line fuse. So the camera is always on (not good) and LCD panel with bluetooth is always on too but LCD panel has power off button so it's on standby always.

I also need a good wiring diagram so I can find the missing wire for ignition and reverse light and add maybe transistor to the mix
Old December 28th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a reverse camera and for the radio, I tapped in to the reverse power wire that is on the pcm. For the backup camera itself, I tied in to the reverse lights in the back. I also installed power locks and tapped in to the fuse block under the seat. I tapped in to the largest power wire I could find, not sure off the top of my head which one that was.

My new Blaupunkt stereo had a clock, but did not show it unless you were on the menu screen. So I added a small digital clock, for this I tied in to the interface harness for the radio, and tied in to a Yellow? wire in the steering column for switched power.

Every thing is working great, but I do have a few things that bother me. I mounted the camera up near the 3rd brake night and installed one that pivots. Unfortunately I can not see the trailer hitch because with the camera pointed down, the doors themselves block the view. I pre-wired it a while ago to have a switch for the rear camera in case I want to flip it on when not in reverse, but I was in a hurry when I installed it. So I didn't hook that up. Some day maybe.

I have been also considering one of the cameras that is mounted in the brake light itself, not sure if that would be out far enough to see the hitch or not.
Old November 17th, 2014, 3:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I used the battery bolt extender for power to a universal solenoid that was powered on by the ignition key. Tapped into the fuse for the power windows under the dash for the ignition on power to the solenoid. I had already rewired the power windows through another fuse directly connected to power from the battery so my power windows will work anytime whether the ignition is one or off. From the solenoid, I ran a 10 gauge wire into the cab under the dash and connected it to a six circuit fuse panel. Now I have six new easily accessible ignition controlled fuses for any electrical accessories I want to add to my van. For always-on accessories I can easily tap into the cig. lighter plug or the 12-volt accessory plug located in the van's console. Each one has it own independent fuse so it is not likely to be overloaded by adding one more low amp accessory to it like my GPS which I like to be always on and not ignition controlled.