Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

air cleaner (filter) and fuel filter specs?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2016, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by tbb2
I'm sure there are quality differences between most every manufacturers' products.

Having found that GM owned/owns ACDelco and that ACDelco was the OEM part for brake fluid I contacted ACDelco. ACDelco still represents that they provide OEM parts for GM.

The ACDelco fuel filter is $26.
2003 Chevrolet Express 3500 Cargo Van; LQ4 6.0L V8
you realize a/c delco has cheap line of parts that are lesser quality than oem stuff right?
I worked for a gm dealer for 10 years and then moved to a Canadian tire corp for 3 months. the Canadian tire parts are were absolutely the lowest quality parts I have ever seen. They even took longer to install. Did they work, yes but oem would never put this type of part on a new car....they would never make it off the warranty period.

never heard of a fuel filter and air filter for a gasser going for more than $100 and that's at inflated Canadian prices.

Last edited by tech2; January 23rd, 2016 at 4:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old June 11th, 2016, 8:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replace fuel filter on 2003 3500 Express

Fuel filter installation report:
I crawled under the van and with a flash light and camera found the existing fuel filter to be an ACDelco: Type GF-626; PKG 25121792; OEM 25121741. Contact with ACDelco tells me GF-626 is being replaced by GF-481 and for my 2003 Express 3500 a GF-652 is recommended.

Today I did the swap. This is how I did it ... follow my method at your own risk.
- disconnect negative battery terminal
- loosen fuel filler cap
- spray both ends with PBBlaster
- brush threads on each end with fine wire brush
- spray again with PBlaster to remove particulate
- wipe both ends with clean cloth
- using two wrenches, one to hold fuel filter and the other to hold the fuel line nut, loosen outflow end
-- I decided to not go through the special tool depressurization of the fuel line.
--- If you do this YOU WANT TO HAVE A COLD EXHAUST PIPE.
-- it is important to use two wrenches so the torch is not transferred to the fuel line
-- cover connection with loose cloth and place a drip pan under connection to catch gas
-- use a clean piece of low lint cloth to wrap the end of the fuel line and hold it on with a twist tie
- using two wrenches, one to hold fuel filter and the other to hold the fuel line nut, loosen inflow end
-- cover connection with loose cloth and place a drip pan under connection to catch gas
--- this end sprayed some gas when it was loosened
--- this end was much more difficult than the outflow end, on installation it may have been easier to hold the filter nut on the opposite end when loosening the inflow end of the fuel line nut
- Remove the fuel filter
-- NOTE the orientation of the filter and slide it out of the plastic ring. I sprayed some soapy water around this before loosening any fuel lines.
- inspect the o-ring on the ends of the fuel lines.
-- I used flash light and magnifying glass
- wipe the ends of the fuel lines with a clean cloth

- slide the replacement filter into place while inserting the inflow end
- hand tighten the fuel line nut
- slide in the outflow end and hand tighten nut
- setting a wrench so that it rests on the body of the van I tightened the fuel filter onto the nut from the outflow end
- using two wrenches I tightened the outflow end
- tighten the fuel filler cap
- reconnect the negative battery terminal
- turn ignition to ON (not starting engine) for 2 seconds (I'm guessing this re-pressurizes the line)
- turn ignition to OFF for 10 seconds
- turn ignition to ON and check for leaks
-- these fitting seem to bottom out when tight so not turning is tight enough, The o-ring makes the seal.
- start engine - no noticed difference for having had air in the line

- I found a fine black silt in the catch cup (yogurt container) I used
-- now I am wondering what is floating around in the fuel tank

Good luck