Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Air intake line

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2016, 1:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake line

Anybody know where the lower end of this attaches, if anywhere?

Hard to figure the function of it. The main chute goes out to the front to pull in cooler air. Why would there be a need for air behind the radiator?

Old March 26th, 2016, 1:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Onto exhaust manifold......draws warm air into engine when cold....Old idea on older vehicles.
Old March 26th, 2016, 2:51 PM
CF Veteran

yup..."preheater duct" I believe was the fancy term
Old March 27th, 2016, 1:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Ah yes, I figured it must be something like that. I saw there was some sort of valve guarding the opening. I put in a new radiator and had to remove the intake chute. I found the flange on the manifold where it attaches. I had already reinstalled the air filter, housing, etc. thinking I could install the flexy duct thing later. I tried just now, proved difficult, and I didn't want to take it all apart again, too lazy for that. Then it hit me: I live in a Mediterranean type clime: the bucolic Bay Area. I left it off. I'll save it (yeah right) in case I move to Minnesota. I'll check to see that the valve works, that no air passes. Might even cap it. Hard to imagine it doing any good unless it's subfreezing or near zero.

Last edited by cmac2012; March 27th, 2016 at 1:42 AM.