Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Am I crazy....

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 9:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy....

or is the dealer trying to royally screw me???

I have an '03 Express and the dealer has confirmed what I already knew to be the case, which is that the fuel level sender needs to be replaced. However, they have quoted me $750 to do the job, with some lame explanation of the labor involved in dropping the tank. I've had friggin fuel pumps installed for less than that. Why on earth would they be trying this crap? The part being replaces is at most $50. I'll even be generous and say it's $100. There aint no way in Hades that dropping the tank, replacing the sender, and putting the tank back is $650+ in labor. Am I wrong here?
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price sounds about right
Old November 29th, 2012, 5:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Price sounds about right
Please elaborate. Even at $100 per hour for labor that would mean over 6 hours of labor to drop the fuel tank, replace the sender, and then put the tank back. Seems like a bit of a stretch that that would take 6 hours plus wouldn't you think?
Old November 29th, 2012, 7:02 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure they are not replacing the pump assembly? Around 400 part
The guage sending unit by itself is $250 Labor time is around 3.0. Most dealers are at 120-140 per hour. Plus I am sure there was a check out charge. Then add in shop supplies and taxes.
Old November 30th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Are you sure they are not replacing the pump assembly? Around 400 part
The guage sending unit by itself is $250 Labor time is around 3.0. Most dealers are at 120-140 per hour. Plus I am sure there was a check out charge. Then add in shop supplies and taxes.

They are definitely not replacing the pump assemblly, just the sending unit. With the numbers you've posted their quote makes sense. I guess it's just that based on what I'm seeing they are paying way too much for the part, and that labor rate is just flat out ridiculous. Definitely gonna save this job for my local guy. Thanks for your input though, it is definitely appreciated.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

I've a 2004 Express and the pump, fuel level sending unit, and fuel filter were all one unit. I didn't have to pay as it was the wrong fuel pump unit installed at the factory and was covered under warranty (so what did it cost? Dunno).

The problem was that when I ran the fuel to almost empty, the pump would heat up and shut off (a safety feature). The correct fuel pump unit fixed the problem.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

You can get just a sending unit but change it all while your in there (pump, sending unit and fuel filter). Its a 9 year old pump...its at the end of its life. Otherwise, you'll be paying all over again in 6 months to replace the pump.

Last edited by tech2; December 2nd, 2012 at 2:49 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
You can get just a sending unit but change it all while your in there (pump, sending unit and fuel filter). Its a 9 year old pump...its at the end of its life. Otherwise, you'll be paying all over again in 6 months to replace the pump.
I would have to agree, at 9 yrs old its days are numbered
Old December 2nd, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Junior Member

I probably will just replace the pump. At least if I take it to my local guy up the road I can get the whole thing done for no more than what the dealer is charging for just the sending unit.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Junior Member

While I'm thinking about it, you guys have any recommendations on what pump to go with?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy....