Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Before I screw things up...........

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I screw things up...........

I have a 2002 Express 1500 van with rear drum brakes that I bought used last year. It stops okay, even when pulling a 4000 pound travel trailer but the parking brakes are barely holding. It'll creep in gear and the parking brakes applied.

On all my other vehicles with rear drum brakes, it's pretty much just a matter of adjusting the rear shoes and/or the parking brake cable.

I crawled under the van today and noticed that there aren't any rubber plugs where a star wheel adjuster might be. I do see two oblong metal tabs embedded in the backing plate that look like punch outs. Before I mess things up, is this the access to the star wheel adjuster for the shoes? If yes, are rubber plugs available?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes they are metal not rubber. Pry them out and you can adjust them. But I would instead de adjust them and pull the drums. If you have never seen your rear brakes now is the time.
You may need wheel cylinders, you may need your drums machined....
Mine is the same year, and the little washers that the pins slot into that hold the shoes on were rusted. I bought a whole new spring clip kit, and replaced all the hardware. You only take off your drums once every few years.....might as well knock it off the list.
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Pulled both rear drum off today and they came off too easily! Shoes look good, no scoring on drums and no leaks anywhere. Those metal tabs are not meant to be removed as even a hammer and chisel couldn't knock them out. Adjusted the rear drum brakes the hard way and now the parking brakes hold in drive, barely! Brake pedal feel is a lot better now while driving.
Old October 27th, 2013, 2:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 02 express 2500 and I can assure you they do come out. Maybe yours are rusted on. You should have punched them out from the inside while the drums were off. Bought new ones if necc. Makes adjusting way easier.
Old October 27th, 2013, 7:59 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, they should come out with a little effort from a hammer and flat bladed screw driver... you can find the plugs on EBay -> Drum Brake Backing Plate Adjuster Plugs GM Chevy Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-74-GM-Rea...9b8008&vxp=mtr
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

I thought that the metal tabs should've been easier to remove too. A hammer and concrete chisel didn't even make a scratch in it much less a screw driver. A lot of the hardware looked fairly new and I could see scratch marks on the adjusting star wheel so someone prior to me did some work on the brakes too. The "plugs" looked like they are actually casted into the backing plate as I didn't see any tack welds or anything. It's a first for me.

Inpro2, I just clicked on your link for the plugs and for that amount, I think I'll stick to the "hard way" of adjusting the brakes. Yes I'm cheap sometimes.

Last edited by ancient one; October 27th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

lol yeah I noticed that too, that is why I had a second link at the bottom for the plugs that go for about half the first link...