Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can I convert my van to a pick-up or flatbed?

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2015, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I bet you could write them.
Just remember if you write them, they have a legal responsibility to protect themselves. If you can understand that and read through the lines here and there, you should find the answers you want.
I tried asking through the GM website. I was told to speak with someone in the service department at my local dealership. I'll try that, when I get a chance, but I'll be surprised if I get a definitive answer.
Old September 16th, 2015, 4:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Feasable yes. Safe, sure if done right. Legal, depends on your area's requirements. Do you have to get this type of thing inspected? Will your insurer insure your modified vehicle? Those questions are the most important.
The biggest structural issue will be finishing off the back of the cab. It needs to be solid, and will likely need two more mounting points added to the frame. The frame part is easier as it is most likely no different to a cab and chassis frame. Like taking the box off a pickup truck.
Me personally, I would sell, and then buy what you need....
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Me personally, I would sell, and then buy what you need....
Yeah, I agree there are a lot of potential complications, plus the labor. I would like to find a ready-to-go vehicle that will meet my needs. I want to stay under 10,000# GVWR, which limits the cab-and-chassis options. I would also like to have a 12' flatbed, while keeping the overall vehicle length close to 20', which rules out pick-ups. I'll continue watching for a light-duty van-type cab-and-chassis.
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

I wonder if the highway department or motor vehicle authority where you live have rules regarding deck length vs chassis. (ie can you have a 1 ton with a 12 foot long deck? does it have to be a dually? Etc)
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

http://img.ca.cars.cozot.com/pics/ca...0305103410.jpg
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

http://dynamictruck.com/up/Image/Fla...7313%20002.jpg
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I wonder if the highway department or motor vehicle authority where you live have rules regarding deck length vs chassis. (ie can you have a 1 ton with a 12 foot long deck? does it have to be a dually? Etc)
I would be a little surprised if they do. I would be even more surprised if a regulation like that were enforced. But I don't know . . . .
Old May 15th, 2022, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford cutaway van chassis and Chevrolet cutaway fan chassis

3500 Chevrolet cutaway van chassis in Ford cutaway Vin chassis there is a company called cab back that you can get for a cutaway van and then all you have to do is put a pickup box on the back and you will have what you want I've been looking at doing the same thing I have been looking at a Ford e450 cutaway van chassis to build into a pickup truck
The following users liked this post:
Tetra (May 15th, 2022)
Old May 15th, 2022, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

It was a while ago that I posted the original question about converting a van to a flat bed. I ended up deciding that the potential complications were too great. I bought a Ram Promaster chassis-cab and made a bed for it.
Old May 25th, 2022, 1:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

These things are old enough now you could buy a junker, cut the rear say 12" off the body, cap off your cab and cut the rest of the sides down as low as you want. Fuel filler neck will need some attention.

But I don't know why someone bumped a 7 year old thread.