Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Electrical Help Needed 2012 Express 3500

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2017, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help Needed 2012 Express 3500

ok guys I'm desperate ...i had a terrible experience at a local dealer so i said i would roll over dead in my grave before i let them touch my van again..that being said that puts me in my current situation..One day out of the blue for no apparent reason i lost both dome lights front and rear.. I had not touched the dome off button on the dimmer switch..i have checked the continuity of both bulbs with ohm meter and both check out fine..i thought to myself probably just a blown fuse no big deal..right?...wrong I've pulled every fuse under the hood and under the driver seat and cannot find 1 blown fuse..i also noticed today as i was taking the driver seat out to easily access the under seat fuse box that the driver door chime with the key in the ignition is no longer working either... other than those 2 problems thats all that i am aware of..the instrument panel, radio, 12v power outlets are all fine...im not really familiar with checking relays..not sure if that could be an issue...as mentioned in the title i have a 2012 express van 3500 6.0L ..i called both my local dealer and a nearby dealer and both were unwilling to offer any support over the phone...with it getting dark at 4:30 and no lights to get tools out needless to say its annoying as heck.. im at a dead end as to where to go.. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old January 3rd, 2017, 9:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the dome lights are powered by a module; the bcm. check for voltage to the light bulb. if none, the module may have detected a short to grd. if a short is present,the bcm will shut down the power to the light and set a dtc. the dtc will be in the body control module and can be read with a full function scan tool.

-so check for codes if you have a scan tool
-check for voltage and grd at the light
Old January 4th, 2017, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats a start. But more info needed

hey i appreciate your reply.. though i am some what resourceful you may have begun speaking latin. So obviously theres no power going to the light sockets bc i have checked the bulbs and they are good.. so here is where my ignorance shall take over. I dont have a full scan tool. Probably wouldnt have an idea how to use it...i do have a scanner for if the engine light comes on it will tell you what code. But i dont think it does much else besides engine codes... how many bcms are there. Is the scan tool the only way to check the bcm. How many bcms are there. And is that a self replaceable part....let me throw another element in here that i forgot. The only problem i did notice is that a piece of pipe in my van did fall and catch the wire going to the rear dome light and had the socket in a bind..so if it shorted that socket out bc of that i wouldnt be surprised if thats where the issue originated
Old January 4th, 2017, 8:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

unless you check for power and grd at the bulb connector; you really don't know what the problem is...assuming there is no power or grd because the bulb is good is a leap.
there may be power but no grd.
there is one bcm. Replacing it at this point is a shot in the dark.

If you jumper 12volts to the bulbs on the power wire, what happens...use a fused jumper wire.