Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express Passenger Seat Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2015, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express Passenger Seat Questions

Hi all,

My apologies in advance if these questions have already been posted, I did a quick search and couldn't find them.

I'm looking to buy a Chevy Express passenger van in the near future and went to see a pair of them this past weekend (a 12-seater and a 15-seater, both 2014 3500 LT extended wheelbases). I had two questions I was hoping you could help with:

1. Do any of the bench seats in rows 2-5 fold down? The salesman, my wife and I were looking for levers or something to fold them and we couldn't find anything; the owner's manual also did not mention it.

2. In the 15-seat van, it is possible to move the 5th row bench (split 2/2) into the 4th row bench's position? In essence, change it from a 15-seater to a 12-seater at will?.

We have a large family and are trying to look to the future as well (we keep cars for a long time). We really liked the amount of space behind the rear seat in the 12-seat extended wheelbase van, and conversely found we could fit absolutely nothing behind the rear seat of the 15-seat van. It'd be great to be able to leave the 4th row out and move the 5th row up to turn it into a 12-seater when needed.

Thanks very much for your time and help.

- Matt

Last edited by mtp9302; March 16th, 2015 at 3:25 PM. Reason: "knobs" was censored for some reason?
Old March 16th, 2015, 8:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No and no.
the 12 pass has 2 3 3 4 layout. I'm pretty sure the 4 person seat will not fit further up.
Also none of the 3 person benches fold, but I think the 4 person has a split folding back.
The diff in the 15 pass is another 3 person bench in the middle, as the 4 person is moved further back.
Your best bet is to go explore one at a dealer lot.
Old March 17th, 2015, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks canucklehead, that's what it looked like. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

I was hoping at least the last row with the 2/2 split bench would fold like you are saying. My wife and I did look at two vans at a dealership this past weekend, and we saw the pins that you pull to remove them but couldn't find a way to make them fold. I was hoping that someone who owned one could confirm.
Old March 17th, 2015, 6:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try an express explorer conversion van. It has quad captains chairs and a folding rear bench. Super nice, but more expensive for sure.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=expre...w=1600&bih=808
Old March 19th, 2015, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Try an express explorer conversion van. It has quad captains chairs and a folding rear bench. Super nice, but more expensive for sure.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=expre...w=1600&bih=808
Thanks for the suggestion, but we have 6 children so we actually need the seating of a 12 or 15-seat van (we've managed to outgrow a 9-seat Suburban; quad captains won't work). Also, as you say, we don't want to spend that much.

We were expecting the seats to be able to fold for versatility of using the space, such as being able to put sheets of drywall/plywood or long items on top of folded seats without removing them. We expected, at a minimum, that they'd fold for removal. We must just be used to minivan/Suburban seating I guess.