Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuse location help and other things

Old December 2nd, 2012, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse location help and other things

Hello to everyone! I'm new to this site, and please accept my apologies first if it's already been talked about, but I couldn't find any topics related to this. So, I've recently acquired my dad's old 1987 Chevy Van (I think it's called a G20?) due to his passing, and I need some advice:

1) I recently plugged in a cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter, which worked for a few seconds, and then I noticed the engine surging/diving and at the same time interior lights shut off, the cell phone charger wasn't working anymore (the light on the charger shut off) and the radio turned off. Perhaps this is a blown fuse somewhere? I can't locate the fusebox and the owner's manual looks like it's been through a few winters with missing pages... any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

2) I notice that when I start it up, there's no smoke; then after driving it, shutting it off and letting it sit for maybe 30 minutes, and restart it, there's a ton of smoke almost as if the van were a diesel. It smells like burning oil, but I've read that this is quite common amongst Chevy 305 V8s (I think it's a 305? Not sure). Everytime I check the oil level, it's at normal/max, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can I keep driving it like this, or will I need to do something soon as to avoid complete catastrophic engine failure?

Thanks in advance for everyone's attention!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987G20
1) I recently plugged in a cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter, which worked for a few seconds, and then I noticed the engine surging/diving and at the same time interior lights shut off, the cell phone charger wasn't working anymore (the light on the charger shut off) and the radio turned off. Perhaps this is a blown fuse somewhere? I can't locate the fusebox and the owner's manual looks like it's been through a few winters with missing pages... any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

2) I notice that when I start it up, there's no smoke; then after driving it, shutting it off and letting it sit for maybe 30 minutes, and restart it, there's a ton of smoke almost as if the van were a diesel. It smells like burning oil, but I've read that this is quite common amongst Chevy 305 V8s (I think it's a 305? Not sure). Everytime I check the oil level, it's at normal/max, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can I keep driving it like this, or will I need to do something soon as to avoid complete catastrophic engine failure?

Thanks in advance for everyone's attention!
1) does sound like fuse, I don't know where the fuse box is located on your vehicle, but would look under dash firewall drivers side, could also be under the hood.

2) Blue smoke? You say smells like burning oil. With the conditions you describe, it sounds to me like valve seals. How many miles, and more importantly, has the van sat for any length of time prior to you driving it?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 3:15 AM
CF Beginner

There is indeed a fuse box/panel near the pedals, but not sure which fuse it is... they're all a bit cryptically marked. Is it possible that the one that is marked "Radio" also be the one controlling the cigarette lighter and interior lights?

The van has roughly 170,000 miles, oil changes every 3k miles or 3 months, it's hardly driven, and babied when it is. It's not my daily driver, but at least start it up/drive it around town to do errands on the weekends, just for the sake of keeping the battery charged and "using" the vehicle; can't part with it just yet (or ever) for sentimental reasons.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 7:03 AM
CF Monarch

Look for one mark lighter, or cig, or cigar. Since your radio no longer works, I'd suspect that fuse also. Are these glass tube fuses?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Figured it out! It was the horn fuse... apparently it controls the radio, interior lights, and the cigarette lighter - who would've known? As far as the fuse slot marked "Radio," donno what that's for then

Anyways, now about the oil burning thing... what would a new valve seal job run about? I've seen some threads about using Restore products in the oil reservoir - would this cover the valve seal?

Thanks!
Old December 4th, 2012, 2:37 PM
CF Monarch

Have a compression test done before anything else. If the van has sat for a long time it could be valve seals, the compression check will point to that if it is good. Cost? It's in a van so figure more for labor. Take it to a reputal mechanic.
Old September 9th, 2013, 3:38 PM
Aud
CF Beginner

I have a 1995 Chevy conversion Van G20. none of the cigarette lighter/power adapters are working. What fuse could be blown? Also is there another fuse box besides the one under the hood?
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pick up a cheap test light. Turn on the ignition and then check both sides of all the fuses. If there is power on one side but not the other, its burnt out.
Valve guides are done with a head job...not cheap if your not doing it yourself.
Try high milegae oil, or an oil additive that will increase the zddp in the oil. It will help to swell seals and that may improve the valve guide issue. Also I niticed a light increase in oil pressure once I made the switch. But, there is no going back to regular oil once you run the higher zddp oil.