Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

HELP: 97 Express starter woes.

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: 97 Express starter woes.

Hello all, Here is my issue: I use a 97 Express to transport my motorcycle to the race track. It's in good shape, strong motor. All of a sudden wouldn't start. Battery was charged and well, still wouldn't turn over. I ended up replacing the starter, while under there I noticed the ear of mount for the starter was busted. Put a new starter in, no luck. It's turning over, the gear in the starter and the flywheel are getting caught together.

I've tried three different aftermarket starters, no luck. Shims? Tried them. I had heard the Crank shaft position sensor can cause this, I changed it, still on luck.

The fly wheel is in great shape, not grounded down. The bolts that were in the starter previously don't look stock. Does anyone have input on this? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

157 views... no help ?
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If the gear on the starter and flywheel are getting caught together then it might be the wrong starter for that engine. Is it the original motor in the van or has it been changed? Can you compare the gear on the new starter with the gear on the original starter? Did you get the correct shims in their for the application?
Old December 30th, 2012, 1:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume that you compared the new starter to the one you took off. I have had a few chevy vans, and I know that the starter on my 02 express is half the size of the one that was on my 95 g20. Make sure its right, and buy new bolts if you are not sure...
I have never had to shim a starter, but then I have always replaced parts with the same....
Also, bench test the starter with some jumper cables.....