Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2014, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 peeling cargo van

Class action seems justified... i have only had runaround from 2 dealers.
I have considered some large magnetic signs on my van calling attention to GM defective paint and poor customer satisfaction......!
Bought mine used, paint started to fail at @<30,000 miles.
My 1992, 325,000 mile toyota van has intact paint!
Old February 24th, 2014, 3:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a safety defect, so unless you are still under warranty, there isn't much anyone can do. ... Just like any other part on the van. I doubt any lawyer would take the case. It's just a quirk of these vans. If it were a safety issue needing a recall then Id agree.

How many people have failed intake/head gaskets on the older 5.7s?.. probably 1000s. If you were out of warranty you had to pay. And I believe there was a design issue causing this. Just because its paint, its not different then any other "part".
The following users liked this post:
Jeanie Glass (April 4th, 2021)
Old June 10th, 2014, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Express Cargo Van--purchase new-the paint has almost peedled off the hood--I only have 2500 miles on it--this morning a truck passing the other way with its wind took a large portion of the paint off--this really stinks--Chev dealer said nothing could be done--right-it does appear to be happening to only the cargo vans--can we set up a protest and get this covered?
Old July 8th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint peeling 07 Chevy van

[QUOTEg=Shojo510;241452]Hey All! Owner of a 2007 Express Cargo and I had a good size piece of paint peel off of my hood last December!

Now I just have a big primer/e-coat spot on my front -

Dealers giving me the "Gravel has chipped your paint and caused your paint to peel"

I've seen gravel chip the paint but it doesn't cause de-lamination ? Paint and primer should be bonded and like one! at least to my non professional view point...

I see a bunch of vans driving around with the same kind of issue...

Also read up on the paint problems from before(90's) with the automotive safety board...link

Anybody else have this going on???

pics?

frustrating...[/QUOTE]

Sorry but GM could care less. I've placed my dealers label on my hood spot and with a black sharpe wrote GM quality smack in the middle of my large peeling hood. They don't care and will do nothing about it.
Old July 8th, 2014, 4:51 PM
CF Senior Member

You are all wasting your time. No one is going to cover anything on a 7 year old van. Go to Maaco and get it repainted for a couple hundred bucks..
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Paint job

Originally Posted by greenfire
You are all wasting your time. No one is going to cover anything on a 7 year old van. Go to Maaco and get it repainted for a couple hundred bucks..
Why fix a paint problem that is obviously a GM defect at my expense. I'd rather leave it for everyone to see the poor quality of workmanship GM has ignored
Old August 23rd, 2014, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

We have an '05 GM Savana. Same problem. ALL vans this age from GM have this problem. Similar Ford vehicles are fine. Now I can spot them a mile away. Just look for the primer pataches on the hood. Ours also had the roof paint peel off. This takes the primer with it for sime reason and leaves a rusting bare metal. This is poor material and workmanship and a flaw in the painting proccess of these vehicles. Someone should start a class action suit to help consumers recoup the cost of repainting a flawed product. The paint lifts up from underneith with no scratch. A bubble appears then the heat/wind eventually lifts it off. I have peeled off a 8 X 10 inch piece off the roof.

Last edited by dbeaty2; August 23rd, 2014 at 3:05 PM.
Old August 24th, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Your van is almost 10 years old, I doubt any lawyer is going to take this case. The last thing anyone is going to do is bring another lawsuit against GM especially on a non safety item.

There are many issues on GM vans caused by parts wearing out prematurely or poor design. I don't understand why just because this is PAINT it warrants class action suits etc. People need to get off it already.
Old August 30th, 2014, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by greenfire

There are many issues on GM vans caused by parts wearing out prematurely or poor design. I don't understand why just because this is PAINT it warrants class action suits etc. People need to get off it already.
It started peeling in 2008. I challenge you to look at any white GM work van. The paint will be missing on the front. Once I point this out to people they suddenly realize how prevalent it is. Of course it's not worthy of a law suit, but it really is poor material and workmanship and should be addressed.

In fact it was someone else who pointed it out to me that this was so, now I can spot a White GM a mile a way in traffic. I guess all vehicle owners should just accept that the paint may fall off in a few years and get over it.
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

New to the forum, but you can certainly add me to the Class Action movement. We purchase in good faith and they sell knowing full well that there is an issue. They should not be allowed to get away with such deception.

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo