Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I found the roof rack basket for my van camper. Now I will be able to carry our recliner camp chairs with us as it is 60" long. I had to mount it low on the roof rack brackets due to the clearance with my garage door, but it works quite well. Also got a hook net set-up to hold everything in place. Will add a "packed for travel" picture later.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love your custom ideas. Keep it up. Sometimes the simplest tips are the best.
Old December 19th, 2016, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

This modification is not one I made to my conversion van, but to the camera tripod I carry in it. I like the Chevy Express van's large door pockets where I carry my little fold up camp chairs and my tripod, because it is so easy to get at them. I modified my tripod with a slow-motion adapter that I purchased from an astronomy telescope website. It allows me to make fine adjustments as I am tracking a bird or an animal with my telephoto or zoom lens on the camera.

Orion Precision Slow-Motion Adapter | Orion Telescopes

The other modification to the tripod was wire-tying the shutter release cable to one of the ***** on the tripod. Now I do not have to dig through my camera bag looking for it and it is always ready and handy to use when I am trying to take tripod pictures.
Old April 29th, 2017, 8:59 PM
CF Active Member

Time for another small modification to the camper van. My wife wanted more room for small things, so I used a drawer organizer and added a couple of metal brackets that I bent and shaped to fit the contour of my door window trim with my Pop-Rivet tool. After covering the inside (so things don't rattle while we drive) with sticky-back felt, I slid it over the edge of the trim by the window of one of the side doors. The second picture show how I bent the bracket over to catch the edge of the plastic trim and hold it in place.

Last edited by Black'95; April 29th, 2017 at 9:15 PM. Reason: clarification
Old April 30th, 2017, 7:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black'95
Time for another small modification to the camper van. My wife wanted more room for small things, so I used a drawer organizer and added a couple of metal brackets that I bent and shaped to fit the contour of my door window trim with my Pop-Rivet tool. After covering the inside (so things don't rattle while we drive) with sticky-back felt, I slid it over the edge of the trim by the window of one of the side doors. The second picture show how I bent the bracket over to catch the edge of the plastic trim and hold it in place.

Wow, really using every nook and cranny huh? Looks pretty slick.
Old April 30th, 2017, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how high your garage opening is as I'm in the process of searching for a van , I only have 7ft of clearance and would like to know if this is sufficient.
Old May 1st, 2017, 8:58 AM
CF Active Member

My garage door opening is 8 feet and my 2001 Chevy Express van fits easily with a roof rack on it. I think my van is about 6 1/2 feet high so it would probably fit without a roof rack.
Old May 5th, 2017, 8:05 PM
CF Active Member

Now that camping season is here, I am finding small modifications to make again. After mounting my roof rack on the van, I did not have a good place to mount my magnetic TV antenna, so I got a piece of metal from my local home improvement store. I cut it at an angle to fit one corner of the roof rack, painted it black to match, and screwed it in place. Now I have a nice flat location for my magnetic TV antenna while camping and it doesn't interfere with loading my recliner camp chairs for travel.

Last edited by Black'95; May 17th, 2017 at 9:15 AM.
Old May 10th, 2017, 1:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff Stanners
Just wondering how high your garage opening is as I'm in the process of searching for a van , I only have 7ft of clearance and would like to know if this is sufficient.
Here is 82 1/2" to the weatherstrip on the garage door. I have about 5/8" clearance between the weatherstrip and the roof of the van, (08 1500 empty). These dimensions are with 225 tires (it has 225's from a previous owner), stock is 245's, about 5/8" taller.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1494440679
Attached Thumbnails My 2001 Camper Conversion Van-screen-shot-2017-05-10-2.15.30-pm.png  
Old May 11th, 2017, 2:04 PM
CF Active Member

That is a short clearance. No room for a roof rack there.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camper Conversion Van