Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Mystery connector/Trailer wiring?

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2014, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery connector/Trailer wiring?

I just bought a 2013 Express 2500 LT for my family (yes, 5 kids and minivans are too small!).

I just installed a Curt hitch and am moving on to the wiring. The van did not come with a hitch, but the manual seems to indicate it is pre wired and the wiring is located in the rear drivers side attached to the frame. So, I checked that location and yes there is a wire loom coming from the front of the vehicle and is attached just inside the frame on the rear of the vehicle.

The issue is...I can't find what connects here. Two chevy dealers didn't know and the wire colors listed in the manual do not match up with what is on that connector. Also, there are only 6 wires in the loom, not 7 like the manual says.

Does anybody know if this is the wiring for the trailer and how to match it up with a 4pin or 7 pin wiring setup?

I've attached pics of what the connector/wires look like. Any help would be very welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Mystery connector/Trailer wiring?-photo-1.jpg   Mystery connector/Trailer wiring?-photo-3.jpg  
Old July 11th, 2014, 5:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
The trailer harness would likely contain a red wire for trailer aux battery, that pigtail does not seem to have that... I suspect that harness is for the rear back up sensors.. do you have the back up sensors?
Old July 11th, 2014, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I do not have the back up sensors so I guess that might be it. The dealer service dept told me that all express vans were prewired for towing so it that would be disappointing if it wasn't! We will eventually be towing a travel trailer with this and I was thinking it would be prewired for it (brake controller wire, etc.)
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Check under the hood near your fuse box, see if you can find the red coiled up trailer battery connection and also possibly a coiled up blue wire that would go to the brake controller....
If those are there, they may help you identify the location of the trailer harness...its likely attached to the frame somewhere on the drivers side near the rear quarter panel... its where it is on the SUV's and trucks so its a good chance its there for the vans too....
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I checked under the hood and there is no coiled red battery connection or blue wire. I searched everywhere under the rear of the van (along frame, panels, etc.) and the only harness I see is the loom that leads to the mystery connector. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to install from scratch here :-(
Old July 12th, 2014, 1:03 PM
Administrator

E-trailers.com and the 12volt.com are good sources of schematics and other related info....
Old July 14th, 2014, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic sure looks like it could be the trailer wiring. It matches the supposed location and the wire colors. My van doesn't have this so I can't compare directly. You might look at GM UPFITTER - Home to be sure.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have the same issue on my 2015

Originally Posted by jchristian79
I just bought a 2013 Express 2500 LT for my family (yes, 5 kids and minivans are too small!).

I just installed a Curt hitch and am moving on to the wiring. The van did not come with a hitch, but the manual seems to indicate it is pre wired and the wiring is located in the rear drivers side attached to the frame. So, I checked that location and yes there is a wire loom coming from the front of the vehicle and is attached just inside the frame on the rear of the vehicle.

The issue is...I can't find what connects here. Two chevy dealers didn't know and the wire colors listed in the manual do not match up with what is on that connector. Also, there are only 6 wires in the loom, not 7 like the manual says.

Does anybody know if this is the wiring for the trailer and how to match it up with a 4pin or 7 pin wiring setup?

I've attached pics of what the connector/wires look like. Any help would be very welcome!
Hello- I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Express. Did you ever figure out what that 6 pin connector is for? I also have 5 kids and installed a Curt hitch.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 6:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't one of the 7 pins ground? so the 6 wires you have are the 6 hot wires.
for example..
http://www.rverscorner.com/wiring/7pole.jpg
Old February 22nd, 2016, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

I believe I figured it out. I'm pretty sure it is wiring for the backup sensors that I don't have...it should make a good chase for my trailer wiring though.

Quick Reply: Mystery connector/Trailer wiring?