Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Oil light stays on about a minute after starting

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light stays on about a minute after starting

Hey Everyone

I found a 2005 CHEVROLET EXPRESS CUTAWAY G3500 box truck I'd like to buy, but there's an issue with it that's concerning me. When you start the truck, the oil can dash light comes on and stays on for about 1 minute, then will go off. It will do this everytime you start it. Truck starts and runs fine, no knocking. Checked dip stick, has correct oil amount. Oil pressure gauge is around 28-30psi at idle, and will go above 40psi when revved or driving. The oil in the truck had not been changed for about 9 months, but has been driven enough to rack up only 3,000 miles on the current oil. As far as what it looks like underneath, there was a slight oil leak at the filter, but I think it was b/c the filter wasn't tight enough. On the other side of the pan right where it meets the tranny bell housing, there was a gap as if the pan bolt wasn't tight enough, and there was a slight oil leak in that area. But there was no evidence of part of the pan gasket in the gap, so I don't know if it's suppose to be gapped there or not. That's all I know about the current state of the truck. Any ideas what could be causing this oil light to come on during startup?
Old November 20th, 2012, 9:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the Oil using the correct weight and Filter.

The oil pump is struggling and/or the bypass valve getting stuck.

It is taking a long time for the oil to reach the top end of the engine where the sensor is to trigger the light to go off.
Old November 20th, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the advise, yeah I went by my local Chevy place and spoke with one of their shop mechanics, they were def. thinking there was some sort of restriction happening and suggested I change the oil and filter first, maybe even do a flush
Old November 20th, 2012, 4:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
Change the Oil using the correct weight and Filter.

The oil pump is struggling and/or the bypass valve getting stuck.

It is taking a long time for the oil to reach the top end of the engine where the sensor is to trigger the light to go off.
Change the filter.
Old November 21st, 2012, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

I took it to a dealership and they did a diagnostics. It just needed the oil changed, then they had to reset the "chanage oil" light. That part is all good now, thanks for the advice all!