Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Onstar and built in GM Internet access.

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2015, 11:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Onstar and built in GM Internet access.

Hi,

I like this idea. I might go for it, but it all really depends on the monthly cost. I am currently getting hosed for internet usage on my phone. I wanted to put an internet router in my van, but maybe it's better to just go with GM. Then, not only can they see where I am at all times, they can kill my vehicle remotely, listen to my private in vehicle conversations and they will now also be able to see what I am browsing on the internet. Scary world.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I may go for it, I think GM is smart to go down this road... it's just... scary. What does everyone else think? I honesty have to reduce my monthly bills, not increase them. But I do like this idea.

PS. My apologies GM if I shouldn't post this email, but it's been approved throughout the marketing chain so it should be fair game.

Schedule your no-cost hardware upgrade today to enjoy a 4G LTE connection and 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3.

Dear XXXX XXXXX,

Canadian wireless service providers have informed OnStar®1 that the 2G wireless network in your area – the network we use to provide service in your 2015 GMC Savana will be decommissioned in late December 2015.

As a result, in order to continue enjoying the peace of mind you’ve come to count on from OnStar, your vehicle’s hardware will need to be upgraded by December 1, 2015. OnStar will provide and install this new hardware at no cost to you.

Once installed, your upgraded hardware will allow you to continue using OnStar service and provide you with several exciting new features to keep you even better connected on the road, including:

- Powerful 4G LTE connectivity, providing a fast and reliable connection1

- An in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot2, which allows you to connect up to seven laptops, tablets or mobile devices and includes 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3

- Up to 5 years of connectivity with our Basic Plan†, which includes limited features of the RemoteLink mobile app and monthly Vehicle Diagnostics emails

Note: Vehicles equipped with hard-wired aftermarket electronic equipment4 may not be compatible with the upgraded OnStar hardware. This may result in additional installation costs, prevent the upgrade of the OnStar equipment, and/or render the aftermarket equipment inoperative after the upgrade attempt. If this type of equipment is installed in your vehicle and you choose to upgrade your OnStar hardware, you will be responsible for any additional expense incurred.

If you wish to subscribe to OnStar safety and security services, you will also need to choose one of our three new service plans when you order your hardware:

Guidance Plan ($39.99*/month):
Enjoy total peace of mind with our complete suite of emergency and security services, plus Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Stolen Vehicle Assistance and 30 Hands-Free Calling minutes every month.

Security Plan ($29.99*/month):
The full protection of OnStar, whether there’s a vehicle issue or a medical emergency, plus Stolen Vehicle Assistance to assist police who can help to pinpoint and quickly recover your vehicle, if it’s ever stolen.

Protection Plan ($24.99*/month):
Confidence comes from knowing that wherever you go, you’re connected to a specially-trained human Advisor, ready to assist you 24/7.

If you have any remaining Hands-Free Calling minutes available on your current service plan, those minutes will roll over to your new equipment and the new phone number issued to that equipment.

Completing your hardware installation is easy. Just follow these simple steps by November 1, 2015.

1. Log into your existing OnStar account at onstar.ca. (If you don't have an existing account, click, "Sign up.") Choose your new service plan. You will be required to accept the current OnStar User Terms, Privacy Statement and Software Terms, unless you’ve previously done so.

2. Call your OnStar Advisor at 1-877-935-8717 to order your hardware and select your preferred dealer. Your Advisor will request your odometer reading during this call, so please have it ready.

3. OnStar will send the hardware to your dealer, who will then call you to schedule your installation.

If your hardware is not installed within 90 days after you place your order, you will need to begin the order process over. OnStar will insure that you are not billed during any loss of service due to CDMA networks being shut down in your area while your upgrade is in process.

OnStar is committed to making the upgrade process as convenient as possible. Please call us at 1-877-935-8717 and speak with an Advisor about any questions you may have. We look forward to providing you with an even richer OnStar experience.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXX

Old July 29th, 2015, 12:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going for this. I have some things I have to do before I book the appointment. I plan on timing it with an oil change and another attempt at enabling the Compass on the dash. I still don't believe it can't be activated. I haven't checked yet, but the module must not be present.

Seems simple enough to me to buy the parts, wire it just as the factory would, connectors, pins, wire colors (three) and all. Then just enable the BCM, if it's even necessary. If I go through all that, maybe $50 in parts and it still doesn't work, then... ahh. I don't believe it can't be done. I'd rather go in earlier, but I have at most another 3000Km to put on the van before it has to go in. I guess, the worst case scenario, I'll just drive it in with no headliner and "A" pillar trim. I'm sure people have done worse.

But I am curious about the OnStar WiFi. I suppose the ignition or the RAP will have to be on for the Modem to be active? I had a plan to switch all my on road WiFi to OnStar, but... this might be limiting... unless there's a way around it...

Last edited by dberladyn; July 29th, 2015 at 12:14 AM.